Steelhead and Sewage Treatment Plant

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by MasterAnglerTaylor, Aug 2, 2011.

1. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  2. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +602 / 0
    Guess I shouldn't worry so much about all that toilet paper floating in the lower Coweeman :)
  3. rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Brownsville Oregon
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    a fortunate "accident" I suppose, but how about restoring the stream and upgrading that treatment plant? I know, I'm just a silly guy. THank you for the article.
    Paul
  4. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    sorta takes the wind out of the MSY bullsheit.
  5. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +686 / 0
    Fails to mention fishing; sportsfishing, commercial fishing, tribal fishing, as a serious impact on the fish. Fails to mention that such municipal sewage treatment wastewater systems do not address or remove most industrial toxins, solvents, cleaners, waxes, emulsifiers, carcinogens, agricultural and human pharmaceuticals, domestic and agricultural herbicides, pesticides, soil fungicides etc, and that many of these compunds are known hormone interrupters and also impact salmonid embryonic development and migration skills. The short term benefit of an increased and very narrow range of "nutrients" will not overcome the long term harm from mutations and maladaptions of fish and other organisms constantly exposed to a toxic brew. At best one would expect a run-of-river protocol for such flows, a regime that would not vary as a result of human water use needs. Good luck with that idea. But reservoir water is rich in nutrients that would be more relevant to salmonid needs downstream, depending upon water quality and impacts upstream.

The idea of oxygenation, thermal buffering, and dilution of sewage outfall wastewater using "available" excess reservoir overspill water does not address the problem of annual variations in rainfall and snowpack and the human water use needs that will impact reservoir storage levels annually. hardly a reliable source of consistently healthy cold, oxygenated water flows for wild salmonids and other aquatic organisms downstream.