Steelhead At The Local Supermarket

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Patrick Gould, May 6, 2013.

1. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

IMG_2535.JPG
    I wonder what this is all about?

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Looks like farmed fish.

Curt

3. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Probably farmed. Fred Meyers sellin farmed steelhead too.
    Jack

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

We have "steelhead" for sale over here at Moses Lake also. It's farm raised triploids with a fancy title.

5. GAT

GAT Active Member

So where are these so called "fish farms" for steelhead? I don't know of any in Oregon but they're probably out there someplace. Someone did attempt a coho "fish farm" in Newport Bay but most of the coho kept swimming upstream and didn't jump back into the hatchery.

So the joint went bust... which was too bad. We once fished in the bay area right in front of their hatchery and did great with flies.

However, I don't know of any facilities in Oregon that would be considered a steelhead farm.

6. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

The Colville tribe is marketing their farmed triploid trout as "steelhead". It is a misnomer for sure, but the Colvilles are also leading the way in tribal selective Chinook fisheries, so kudos to them. Still, I wish they wouldn't use "steelhead" in their marketing.

aplTyler and Don Freeman like this.
  7. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Maybe they call them triploids because of the distance traveled from the hatchery to the store.

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Rufus Woods- net pens, the lake is guarded by specialy trained rattle snakes & man eating beavers, they use drone aircraft that look like eagles to keep an eye on things and coordinate security....

9. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

The ones Fred Meyer sells are hatchery fish, which I'm assuming are similar or the same to those in the pic. I've worked for Fred Meyer for years and asked my seafood guy and he said they were hatchery fish raised in pens in the Columbia River with a fancy name. Since apparently Steelhead sells better then "obese pen raised hatchery trout".

10. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I will also assume that there is not likely an FDA restriction in naming them trout versus steelhead considering they are the same thing. Using even the argument that steelhead have to head to salt in order to be true steelhead, no longer really applies given the great lakes fish, although I have heard that some don't consider those fish to be real steelhead either.