Steelhead Caviar... here we go again!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Burck, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    i agree with the bycatch statement of gill nets 100%. they dont discriminate. but i think a trip to the sooes river in december would enlighten you to my position on "neah bay" caviar. that river (slough) looks manmade, is less than 3 miles long and the ditch ends at a hatchery ladder bubbling with unclipped hatchery fish. the makahs have a money maker right there and i wouldnt be surprised at all to find out these fish are coming from their operation. i do not know the history of that ditch but i seriously doubt any self respecting wild steelhead ever called it home before the construction of the hatchery.

Sean

2. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    I'd be more than willing to work with some of you to establish a website to educate local restaurants on taking steelhead off their menus. That'd be a better solution than a scathing witch hunt. I'm not trying to keep you from stoning Douglas. I'm just saying that there might be a more worthwhile effort to be had.

3. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Sounds good Chris. We'll be in touch. A website would be a simple and effective start to a real solution.

4. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Tom Douglas Restaurants replied to my email concerning their use of steelhead caviar. They're going to finish up using whatever eggs they have left and remove it from the menu.

Interestingly enough, they mentioned they monitor the Seafood Watch List that they Monterey Bay Aquarium maintains. A lot of people swear by their list as to what is environmentally responsible vs. not. Steelhead currently isn't mentioned at all on the watch list. WTH? Who can blame them for not knowing they shouldn't be serving steelhead if the "authority" on it doesn't weigh in? http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx

5. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    +1 for Tom Douglas Resturants.

6. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've asked the Seafood Watch twice by email to weigh in on this controversy. No replies. They just added me to their email list.

7. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

Media:
    Here is the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program email:
    seafoodwatch@mbayaq.org

Lets urge them to get steelhead on their list

8. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

Media:
    Here is the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program email:
    seafoodwatch@mbayaq.org

Lets urge them to get steelhead on their list

9. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Great stuff guys, information and comunication will often work. Taking away thier market is probably the only way to curtail tribal netting, I don't think the state has any power to regulate tribal fishing.

10. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Media:
    Home Page:
    I really can not believe that there is someone that claims to be an angler with this kind of a responce,, maybe you need to really be informed before you would make such an anti sportfishing statement, or maybe your NOT an angler. Are you living in a closet?

11. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    i have been emailing back and forth with the monterey bay aquarium sea food watch folks for almost a year now. no movement on steelhead, interesting.

the WDFW can right now shut down gill net harvesting of anadramous fish, period, impacting ALL gill net users. don't be fooled, there is a lot of power in RCWs currently on the books as well as the authority and responsibilities that the '74 boldt decision laid on the WDFW. want to know whey they are not acting?? ask'um.............the greater the number of sporties asking the commissioners, the greater the probability of action. step up or stop trying to talk the talk.

12. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    Happiness WITH fly fishing for Steelhead......now That is irrational!:beathead:

13. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    It has been demonstrated repeatedly on various public forums that the internet activity regarding wild steelhead conservation is having a solid impact on commerce in wild steelhead. When the chefs and restaraunts stop buying the meat and eggs of wild steelhead, then the buyers and brokers take it off of their lists. If they cant profit they dont sell it. Its that simple. Yes it is huge, a nationwide industry, even international- Russias black market on caviar is resting solidly on steelhead eggs. But the effort to curtail sales of these fish is helping. Any effort helps. The benefits of this are having an impact "upstream", in the real rivers of life. The battle to conserve our wild steelhead resources is waged on many fronts. Just because it is daunting does not mean we should fail to try. There is only one truly "irrational" poster on this thread.

14. fodf

fodf Team Umiak

Holy cripes kids..take a deep breath. I'm onboard with Sean. That hatchery, manned by USFWS, is very successful and may have contracted w/Tom to sell some steel eggs for human enjoyment. Don't assume..you know what they about that.

15. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    so you head in the sand folks are discounting the bank to bank gillnet sets on the west end rivers which are killing all anadramous fishes, hatchery, wild??????? you do realize that the west end rivers have not met their wild fish escapement goals for well over a decade?? but one hatchery sets it all straight, geez, you guys work for WDFW??

16. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    So, Um, GREAT! Seems like everyone is on board. We are all aware that there are some serious harvest issues, and we would all like to see something done.
    As for this issue yes, I would guess that the Makah have found a market for extra eggs from their hatchery program, it could be however that some native fish eggs from the Hoko get mixed in to the jar, I mean the mouth of the Hoko is right down the rd and it does get gill netted from time to time, along with a bunch of other creeks in the neighborhood.
    Awareness may be a great step, If restaurants asked fish sellers for some clarification on origin it would help, I mean they could lie but we might catch them.
    Everyone here cares a bunch and is looking for a way to help, thats cool.
    Jesse, have you met Jeff? He is a real good guy and really worries about the fish. Jeff, meet Jesse, he also is a good guy and is trying to help us out to do some cool stuff. Maybe you guys should pm and kiss.

17. Jim Welch

Jim Welch Veni, Vidi, Fishi OFFC

Jesse, you mean like Oregon where the drop in sportsmen is causing such a budget deficit due to fewer licenses sold that there is less and less money for conservation?

Dude, its the sportsmen that pay for species management.

18. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    True that.

And to add to that: I would gladly pay an extra fee on my license for an Olympic Peninsula steelhead endorsement like the Columbia River has going on now, as long as that money went to conservation on those streams.

19. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    so since everyone is 'on board', how about taking a few minutes and typing up an infomational, rational and unemotional description of just what is happenning and send it to:

seafoodwatch@mbayaq.org

as i have posted, i have been sending them information for over a year without them moving an inch. perhaps, just like pike street fish market, they may take notice if enough sporties start raising THEIR awareness. if they ever list the pacific steelhead, it would be a huge step toward shutting down the market for these fish and their parts.

time to walk the walk folks, start typing.

20. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    honestly, i don't get why you think my post is irrational.

i just think trying to differentiate on which type of gill-net caught steelhead is acceptable if f'ing stupid. hatcheries harm wild fish, period. there is no debating that and the non-selective fishing has destroyed wild steelhead diversity while trying to make the case that there is run-timing differentiation between hatchery and wild winter-runs, which might be the case now but wasn't in the past.

we need to dry up the market for steelhead, not just wild. no matter the celebrity level of the chef.

as for filming netting... you should go to the queets instead of the hoh. what the quinault tribe does on the queets is so much worse than what happens on the hoh.