STEELHEAD COMING SOON!!!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bob Triggs, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Another leak in the dikes?
    But wait! Things just got better! See update below.:thumb:

http://blog.visionsbethesda.com/2008/12/03/steelhead-coming-soon/

No hammer required.

12/19/08 UPDATED NOTE!!! The following topic has been resolved in a truly remarkable way. As you read through this series of responses please take note that Chef Tony of Visions Bethesda Restaurant and Jim Chambers of Prime Seafood have both responded to our concerns over the status of wild steelhead here in Washington, and both men have announced that they will no longer be offering these fish on the menue. Through the process of this topic you will see that sometimes things are not quite what they seem. These men are to be commended! KUDOS!!!:thumb:

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I especially love this line, "These are the only wild steelhead available anywhere in the U.S. and since we buy most of the fish the Indians catch, we are providing local restaurants with a very exclusive item."

Sounds exclusive!? World class maybe!?

Things that make you go HHHHHMMMMMMM

3. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

I got the ball rolling. Might as well post as many comments on the blog as possible

Brad

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

where's their blog?

5. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

WTF!!!!! who's comming with me...D.C. huh? Road trip! Just think about it ...whuppin' up on some political yuppies and maybe finding some hot chicks that are tired of their regular f@!$#ing pussy biatch boyfriends from the east ....I'm in!

6. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

jerk offs removed my comment

7. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

i'm in. I think some of those guys need to get bonked. Thank you Bob.

8. SmokinAces

SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

Haha, lets do it!!!!

9. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

For reals. The article was written by a supposed "conversationalist," too. Maybe he should go up to the Quinault to see the conservative netting practices of the tribes.

-Ethan

10. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

whats his e-mail

11. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

12. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

13. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Get that motha f@%ker! Really! this shit amazes me! I just don't get it :mad:

14. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

"Jim Chambers, owner of Prime Seafood of Washington, D.C, Atlanta and Savannah, is an ecologist with 35 years of experience in the conservation and management of marine fisheries, nationally and internationally. He's also a capitalist <expletive removed>."

15. sheetfly

sheetfly Member

You can do as I did and e-mail them directly through their home page. Politely for now asking them to educate themselves on the plight of our wild Steelhead. Then salt in a few facts. Save the nastie for later or.........

Thanks for the post

16. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

I gave him a piece of my mind. Mutha F**ka
    -Ethan

17. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

This is F*&KING unreal!!! I'm sending a shit storm his way...

18. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

:eek::beathead::rofl::hmmm:

19. herl

herl Member

I emailed the chef directly at cheftony@visionsbethesda.com

I'd encourage others to do the same.

Scary thing is that this must mean the tribes are marketing their wild catch all over the country. Do you think this DC restaurant's contacted them? More likey they are cold calling restaurants all over the country trying to off load their 'product'. Wonder how many more are serving wild steelhead.

edit: I just figured out (I'm slow, I know) that the Jim Chambers guy is the one peddling the fish and the one with the connection to the tribe - looks like he's the real problem child.

20. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

My letter:

To Whom it May Concern:

As an avid fly angler and wild steelhead conservationist, I am appalled at the idea that a group such as yours whose mission is to :

"To harness market forces around the globe in support of ocean conservation."
    would consider the state of wild steelhead as sustainable or would even consider buying and selling gill netted wild steelhead to restaurants. As you should be aware, a vast number of steelhead populations in the Pacific Northwest are considered endangered and on the brink of extinction. These populations have been reduced to a fraction of their once historical numbers by over harvest, habitat degradation, poor hatchery practices, construction of impassable barriers to migration, and misguided management strategies. Netting of wild fish by indian tribes has also contributed to the decline of wild steelhead populations. Any practice that encourages the killing of wild steelhead, espeacially by a so called conservational organization such as yours, including the purchase of wild steelhead from the tribes to distribute to restaurants, is fundamentally hipocritical and disturbing. Evidence to the contrary, provided on this blog http://blog.visionsbethesda.com/2008/12/03/steelhead-coming-soon/, indicates that Seaweb disagrees with this statement, and that you obviously believes that the wild steelhead populations from the olympic peninsula rivers are not under duress. I hope your group will do more dilligence on the matter and reconsider this practice. If you need to find resources or data please contact the Wild Steelhead Coalition or the Costal Conservancy Association (http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.org/index.html or http://www.ccapnw.org/) as they would probably be more than happy provide these items.

Sincerely

Eric Tarcha
    --
    Eric J. Tarcha, Ph.D.
    Principal Scientist,
    Preclinical Development
    Kineta Inc.
    307 Westlake Ave. North, Suite 200
    Seattle, WA 98109
    (206)378-0400 ex.104
    etarcha@kinetabio.com
    www.kinetabio.com

I sent this to:

jroberson@seaweb.org,
    info@seafoodchoices.com,
    mboots@seaweb.org (I think this guy is the director of the organization)
    and jim@primeseafood.com

and I copied the CCAPNW and WSC too. Hopefully this will spark something.