STEELHEAD COMING SOON!!!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bob Triggs, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Todd Robbins Wishin' I was fishin'

Franklin, TN
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I sent a message as well...
    :mad::mad::mad:
  2. Dottiesdad Member

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Might there be some local media outlets (TV stations, newspapers, radio stations) in their market that would benefit from a tip and some education?

Nothing like Ol' Mike Wallace and the 60 Minutes crew on your front porch with lights and camera blaring, stuffing a microphone in your face and asking, "Are you still serving endangered species on your menu? And, are you still contributing to the extinction of some of the last wild populations of native fish in this country in search of a little profit? Yes or No, Yes or No? Answer the simple question 'Yes' or 'No', will you"

DD
  3. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    I shot them a short sweet email this morning asking them to question their business ethics of serving "buttery flavored" endangered species..
  4. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    I would be willing to bet some of these guys had know idea.

Personally, I think the blame lies with the indians. Just gotta catch the very last one.

Ed
  5. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    thats WDFW's motto too imho..
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Thanks for the alert, Bob. I'll write 'em a little something to help educate them.:beathead:
    Wonder how the fish farmers will react to having their product described as having the texture and taste of cardboard?:rofl:
  7. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +718 / 0
    Something to remember in your comments is that in the food trade "wild" really means not reared in fish farms (net pens). In this case hatchery fish returning to the rivers would also be marketed as "wild" as in grown in the wild.

Yes I realize that large numbers of true wild fish are caught and sold but to be effect in protesting it always helps to have facts and terms correct. Are we protesting that there is tribal commerical fishing or that they are harvesting natually produced steelhead

It may not be a bad strategy to in addition to protesting buying the naturally produced fish that those providing "wild" fish in their restaurants look to using fin clipped hatchery wild grown hatchery fish. Focusing on that sort product would not only have the table quality of other wild grown fish it would encurage extending the idea of selective fishing to selective providing a product for the restaurant trade. Might even end up encouraging the tribes to mark their hatchery releases.

Somehting to think about.

Tight lines
    curt
  8. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Just a quick update, Rich Simms and Todd Ripley of the WSC have responded to my email and there have been calls put into Jim Chambers on the behalf of the WSC for some education on this subject....
  9. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Any fish taken through non selective harvest methods, but most especially those that will include endangered species as a by-catch, are unacceptable...

Washingtons draconian version of strip mining..
  10. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Good! The less I see of this on the OP rivers the better.

Attached Files:

11. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    iagree -good point Curt.
  12. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +51 / 0
  13. johnnyrockfish Member

Kitsap County, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    It doesn't say when they added the following update to the bottom of their webpage, perhaps the outpouring of opinions from this forum are working, a quick call to the press in their area, explaining the problems with serving steelhead, might also prove effective:

**UPDATE**

I have begun to hear from several concerned people about the SUSTAINABILITY to this species, which conerns me. I am investigating both through our supplier and through online resources as to the situation. As much as possible, I want to support sustainability and the overall fish populations health.

In our business of trying our best to appeal to customers, be responsible to environment, and create food that inspires people to return, we have many factors to consider. Anyone reading have any comments to forward the conversation in a direction? Please use the form below and tell us what you think!

http://blog.visionsbethesda.com/2008/12/03/steelhead-coming-soon/
  14. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Well, our voices are being heard. Keep it up. The update was added within the last few hours.
    -Ethan
  15. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +873 / 0
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

these coastal rivers historically had the bulk of their run return in december and january. the planting of hatchery fish and the harvest directed at those hatchery fish have decimated the early component of the runs on all the coastal rivers.

the directed harvest on the early hatchery fish actually impacts the most endangered part of the wild steelhead runs on the coast. while getting the quinault tribe to start marking their steelhead on the quinault and the salmon would be a positive step in the right direction, it would not change the huge impact their programs have on the historically largest part of the runs (early).

honestly, with run sizes where they are right now, there is zero sustainable harvest especially when using non-selective methods.

i do agree with others that we need to make this about the endangered nature of the wild runs and not tribal fishing.
  16. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +710 / 0
    I just wanted you all to know where the Wild Steelhead were...:beathead:

They have to account for all of the fish taken, and all of the fish sold, to whom sold, and to where shipped. All of that is public information. So it should not be too hard to hunt that down and along the way to see if there is a clarification of the usage of the words "Wild Steelhead" in this context. Im sure that WDFW would be very happy to support this kind of inquiry...:rolleyes:

Kurt, You made some good points there. Especially regarding marking hatchery fish- I feel that it should be mandatory. Why the hell isnt it!!!???

The reaction here is not unexpected; I can recall several such topics circulating regarding Wild Steelhead being served in our regional resteraunts, and of course they are being sold at Pike Place Market too. In those cases it was clear that the advertisng approach was strongly invested in the fact that these were "All wild fish, caught by native fishermen", thus implying some spiritualized mo-jo over the inherent superior qualites of the flesh one was ingesting. The sad thing is that people will believe almost anything when it is in print.

In the past these situations have been addressed in much the same way as the preceeding various above poster's sentiments reveal; a mix of vitriolic outrage and personal atacks, and a few good constructive ideas. The rage is not wholley without merit I will admit. But in the end, cooler heads should prevail here and a civilized discourse will do much to improve the educational discussion between parties. It wont help to attack these people. we need the facts and so do they. It wont help to shut it down verbally, have thenm delete their information etc, but then continue to quietly market our last wild fish.

Chefs, resteraunts and markets in many places have responded to a call for conservation of wild fish species when they had the facts presented in a thoughtful and truthful way. many of them do not have any other source for information, status of the fisheries etc, than the people who are selling them the fish to begin with. So as bad as it all looks, we should be working to support them in getting the whole story, and giving them an opportunity to look at that and let us know what they are going to do about it.

I am hoping that CCA National will employ their resources in the Washington D.C. Beltway area to help address this issue. This is their real strength when it comes to dealing with threats to our fisheries in other eastern states, they are very strong in the south east coastal states. Maybe Trout Unlimited will weigh in? I would cal them but I am afraid they will ask me for money and send me another calendar. Where is the F.F.F.? All of these organizations have links to regional offices in the Washington D.C. area, so all could impart a solid representation of the facts about our last wild fish. No doubt we will see something more locally relevant from the Wild Steelhead Coalitionl, Maybe the Wild Fish Conservancy and The Wild Salmon Center?. At times like this it is very clear why we should be supporting their efforts.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead
  17. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +718 / 0
    Congrats guys - clearly the good "chef" has heard some of your comments -

Recent update-
    " have begun to hear from several concerned people about the SUSTAINABILITY to this species, which concerns me. I am investigating both through our supplier and through online resources as to the situation. As much as I can, I want to support sustainability and the overall fish populations health.

I have tried to be very aware of what we can do as individuals to help with these types of issues, creating foods that are not only tasty, well presented, at a good price point, and in line with the environment to the best of my knowledge.

I will say that this one blog post has brought my awareness up to a new level, and I will reply personally to all the emails and posts… that you’ll find at the end of the post here.

In our business of trying our best to appeal to customers, be responsible to environment, and create food that inspires people to return, we have many factors to consider. Anyone reading have any comments to forward the conversation in a direction? Please use the form below and tell us what you think!"

Unfortunately this is just the tip of the iceberg. Top end restaurants want to be able serve fresh salmon/steelhead to their customers. This has long been the case and what has driven the economic viability of tribal gill netting for steelhead. Much of the catch is shipped out of state (such places as CAlifornia, Denver, Montrel, New York and other large population centers). The demand is such that it is profitable to truck fresh fish to the Sea-Tac and air ship them across the country.

Some folks thought that net pen fish might have been a viable alternative to meet the "wild fish need". But that is a discussion for another thread.

Tight lines
    curt
  18. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 0
    Watch out...idiot quote below------

Jim Chambers on December 17th, 2008 3:40 pm

Steelhead, like the other members of the salmon family, return to spawn in the river/stream where they began life. From a population perspective, each river system is considered (under regulations implementiung the Endangered Species Act) to be a separate evolutionary unit or the management equivalent of a separate species. Thus, if one river system’s steelhead are being maintained in a healthy condition, as is the case of the Quinault River steelhead, it has no bearing on what is happening to steelhead from other river systems since they don’t interbreed. Information on http://www.FishBase.org indicates that steelhead (actually a sea-run rainbow trout) have been introduced worldwide.

Washington state biologists responsible for steelhead population assessment and management (Washington state fishery management branch) consider the Quinault population to be healthy and the fishery to be sustainable and well managed. The federal agencies (NMFS and FWS) responible for decisions on Endangered Species Act listings, classify the Olympic Peninsula’s populations of wild steelhead as “not warrented” (for ESA listing). The link to the federal status listing of West Coast salmonids is: http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/ESA-Salmon-Listings/upload/snapshot0208.pdf

Prime Seafood supplies restaurants with seafood only from sustainably managed fisheries, such as the Quinault fishery, and we advocate for seafood consumers and chefs to do likewise.

We also provide our chefs with king and coho salmon from the Quinault River as well as from Alaska, all of whose populations have been certified as “sustainable” by the international Marine Stewardship Council (www.msc.org).

Jim Chambers
    Prime Seafood

-----------

Now here's the guy we need to get to change his opinion. This paragraph above reeks of the same type of logic as the guy on the "Red Gold" video who's the COO of Northern Dynasty, who flat denies the ability of the open pit mine to ruin the ecosystem

Someone like Salma G, Jeremy Floyd, Eric Tarcha, anyone that has the scientific know how to drop some knowledge on this dude....he's the one you need to change

Good on the chef for making his own mind up
  19. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Kurt,

I disagree with your analogy of the "tip of the iceberg" in respect to restaurants wanting to serve fresh salmon/steelhead. I think the term "bottom of the barrel" would be much more fitting.

As far as the thread is concerned..

The runs have been served to death already... Just like our native Char, Chum, Silvers, Kings... Pretty much every stock that the state has co-mismanaged.

Informed restaurant owners should be pushing for long term sustainable harvests so they can have quality non-farmed fish to serve, with all of the benefits to health and taste that they bring with them. Without a selective harvest method, or a complete stop to harvest before we kill off the bottom of the barrel, there will be nothing to save and rebuild to harvestable levels.

Being able to say "endangered species are delicious with butter, garlic, fresh cracked pepper and white wine" should be tongue in cheek satire or sarcasm, not cold hard truth.. That is just a little bit more sad than passing a protection law to not lift the a wild fish out of the water UNLESS it has been gill netted for someones table fare..
  20. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    It is nearly impossible to change someones mind who has it tied directly to their wallet Jmills..

I think it is much easier to rally support against them with like minded individuals and lambast them in force.