Steelhead Count @ the Bonneville

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by John Dougher, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

I believe the counts are correct for Bonneville Dam. Fished Drano Lake on 8/3 hooked 7 landed 6, on 8/6 hooked one landed one and fished 8/13 hooked 5 and landed 3. Half the fish landed were wild. I decided to try mini-leech patterns after reading recent posts on the forum. Steelhead seem to like them very well. Thanks for the input.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Boy, it really tapers off as they swim up river.

3. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

I'd suppose that the monster wave of steelhead hasn't made it that far upstream yet.

4. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Sweet I'm not crazy! :beer1:

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Steve,

Adult sockeye counts at Tumwater Dam (fish desinted for Lake Wenatchee in 2009 are around 16,000 fish, which provided a recreational sport fishery on Lake Wenatchee.

The same count at Wells Dam (fish bound for Osoyoos) is around 135,000.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Put your wiener back in your pants boys.

Those numbers are deceptive and not indicative of the size of run this year. Those fish, including the Chinooks, (not a coincidence) were held up and all shot through in two days due to cool weather and rain.

Below average run this year, especially on the east side.

7. corysean99

corysean99 New Member

I count 6 days over 17k

8. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

135 steel head over Wells dam on 8-15-09.
    I don't think I'm going to get up to early for that kind of count.

9. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Gary...our fish have some time to get to us....its WAY early...keep the fingers crossed!!!!

10. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

As of yesterday count was 426,000.
    If anyone is interested, went over the Deschutes yesterday on I-84 and it lookes as if 1% milk was flowing out the D into the Columbia. Blown out big time.

11. http://wolves.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/steelhead-counts/
    interesting link in Trout Underground; correlates this year's big returns with spill releases for downstream juves.
    I'm just hoping this is indicative of a big return on the Southern OR /Northern CA rivers, but that'd be toomuch to ask, i suppose...............