Steelhead (farmed) at costco

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Buck, May 12, 2008.

1. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I think Citori has it right on the farm raised steel head are triploids.
    I have eaten the farmed steel head and the trips out of Rufus Woods taste much the same only the trips fresh out of the lake taste better.
    I was at Safeway a few years back and guy behind the fish counter sold me on some wild sockeye.
    When I got it home and ready to cook, the fish had a tag hidden between the fish and the package saying it was caught by the tribe.
    Boycott Safeway fish from then on.

2. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

I confess, I wasn't using my best manners...

3. Copper Jon

Copper Jon What a Jim!

Media:
    :thumb:That is way macho. Seriously, I applaud the confidence to do that in a constructive way. I've seen steelhead on the menu in several seafood restaurants in Seattle. I always ask where it's from and it's always from the Olympic Peninsula. I like to hope it's only hatchery fish and never order it but how can one tell?

4. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    costco farmed steel head tases about as much like a wild steelhead as their farmed atlantic salmon tastes like a wild atlantic salmon. I say good! Most people think atlantic salmon tastes like shit simply because all they've ever eaten was the farmed stuff. The wild stuff rivals any of our pacific versions. Maybe the fish mongers will have a harder time selling wild steelhead because of it. Anyt way, If you cook it like you would cook a hatchery trout or triploid, It'll turn out ok. Don't try to cook it like a real steelhead, the oils are not there and the meat is soft.

5. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Be, I have some question regarding this, one how or what way do you cook hatchery trout or triploid? How do you cook a real steelhead? And by real, do you mean hatchery or wild?

I've never had a hatchery trout/triploid, but I have had a hatchery steelhead, tastes pretty darn good to me.
    Do you consider farm raised and hatchery the same?
    Buck.

6. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    I heard that folks have raised steelhead in saltwater farms just like they do with salmon. So I don't know if you can tell that from a triploid.

Joe

7. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    The only reservations about farmed fish I have are the silly practices we allow the fish farms to get away with. Hopefully better sources of feed, waste, and disease management will begin to either be legislated or invented.

As for the dyes and stuff, the wild caught fish aren't immune to it either :( Lots of people expect the fish to look a certain way, and dyes and other "color" stabalizers get used all the time.

Regardless, I must admit, the finest fish really is the wild, fresh from the salt springer. Unfortunately it can't support the harvest levels people demand, so I settle a lot of times...

8. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    Wild and hatchery "free range" steelhead taste the same. Not that I would know from recent comsumption. Pen raised and "free range" steelhead do not taste the same.

9. Be Jofus G

Media:
    Hatchery and native steelhead are similar. They are loaded with oils and fat from eating food in the wild. The Farmed stuff doesn't have the same fat and oil content. The natural oils and fat keep the wild stuff firm and from drying out when you cook it. With the Farmed fish, It helps to add your own fat and oil. As mention in another thread bacon is good :) frying works as well. As far as dealing with the soft flesh, I haven't figured out how to firm that up so you end up with moist flakey meat after your done cooking. I guess it's hard to polish a terd.

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    One of the most succinctly insightful comments yet. Puts a lot in perspective. And that line about the loaf of bread? Now, that's some funny stuff. :thumb:

11. James Mello

Media:
    I've never really noticed the fish at the market being soft. Is this a freshness thing? Are they pre-frozen/defrosted repeatedly?

12. Be Jofus G

Media:
    The farmed stuff from costco that I have bought in the past has generally been soft compared to wild fish. Not sure why but I imagine the fishes diet and lack of stressing their muscles has something to do with it. Freshness or the processing method may be involved as well.

13. Steelheader

Steelheader Only 3 more years until I can think like a fish.

Media:
    It's all good with Tony Chachere's and butter on the BBQ.:D

14. James Mello

Media:
    Hrm.... I haven't bought the Costco stuff yet, mostly cause I usually have enough wild caught to keep us in fish, but I'm thinking of giving it a try.... At least I'll know what's up if it's soft then :)

15. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I would imagine Hatchery Steel and wild steel don't taste too different, I mean nobody seems to mind that 10% of copper river reds are hatchery produced...

16. agent montana

agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

Media:
    You know it's really funny what a bottle of scotch, and a keg of beer can do to the most finicky eaters at a summer BBQ...

17. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    To return to the original thread...

If you think you have an issue with farmed steelhead at Costco, I recently dined at Le Gourmand in Ballard, and they had steelhead on the "prix fixe" menu. I ordered halibut instead.

Yeah, like, most people are going to dine there at the level of $$$ you're going to encounter there (10th year anniversary for Margaret and I speaks for itself). Still, I gave them the "riff" on wild steelhead, as well as thoughts on farmed steelhead (Rainbow versus Steelhead and the problem of farming anadromous fish in estruaries). As it turned out, the steelhead was wild and obtained from someone with some kind of grandfathered license to harvest. Upon finding this out, I affirmed my discomfort about killing wild steelhead and went with the halibut.

I am hoping they will refrain from putting any steelhead on the menu in the future. They're supposed to be the Chez Panisse (Alice Water's restaurant in Berkeley, CA--a very excellent place to dine! A tad spendy, though...) of Seattle. You'd think they would know better, eh?

--Dave E.