Steelhead Fat Flies

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by miyawaki, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Here's some nice shots that Ed Sozinho, of Pro Image Photography, took of my Fat Fly Series.

Leland

2. Really nice Leland, what hook is that? I really like their looks and great ties.

3. 1/0 Gamakatsu Split Shot Drop Shot hooks.

Leland.

4. Very nice flies Leland! Are you sure they're not "phat' flies?

5. Been telling him that since the first Phat Brat crawled from his vise! ;)

6. I have been tying hairwings on those drop shot and small Daiichi 2451 hooks for few years now. Great hooks and perfect for small hariwings like yours Leland. Thanks for the ideas and great flies.

7. Sexy. I did up a bunch of royal coachmen and unweighted prince nymphs on drops shots last year for the ronde and they were golden. Best light wire hook imaginable.

8. Hope you don't mind but I've tied some and they look pretty good. I am going to try them on the water this week to get a feel for them.

9. Repeat post.
    fae

10. A hook I've never heard of before, off to open a new Google window.

Interesting to read what 'drop shot fishing' for Bass was all about. Like a still water 'plunking' system. Apparently quite effective for suspended fish.

11. I have been using that style drop shot hook for all my stinger applications. Wicked sticky little sucker and I like the straight eye/straight pull angle for winter fish.

12. I found the hooks at Sportco in Fife. The shape is the same as a Gamakatsu SC15 series but black instead of nickle plated. The SC 15 in size 1 is almost an exact match but just under in size hence the 1/0. The drop shot hook is a bit heavier wire and has an upturned eye, as well.

13. Yep, that is my stinger hook of choice.

14. anybody have any idea where to get these hooks in eastern washington? mike w

15. Just looked in case and found a couple in walmart here both same size #1

16. how did he shoot the fly with nothing holding it up?

17. I use mosquito hooks on small tubes, but how do those things swim sparsely dressed like that? Doesn't look like they would do too well. Looks like they'd fish like a weighted polish syle/braided nymph?

18. I haven't posted here much, but do drop in once and a while. I must say those are wonderful ties and super pics as well. Leland you have done some very nice interpretations of some classic patterns. The hook serves them well. Thanks for sharing those.

19. Great Work...do you fish that on it's own, or do you put it behind a tube?