Steelhead fishing\conservation question?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Steelheadjunky, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Just a question.

So the pre-modern "truest sense of the word" Steelheader was taking the responsibility to care for the resource properly?
    :rolleyes: Granted I've only been on this planet for 31 years, but in my short life all I've seen of the fishermen who want to save the fish is bickering back and fourth based on junk science in between buying steroid laden meat for dinner, fertalizing their gardens with steroid laden cow krap and pestecides, clocking into their 9-5 er using electricty generated by pumping mercury into the air, all the while their wives are pissing birth control hormones into the water steralizing or mixed sexing the fish. Yeah, great job taking responsibility "true" steelheaders. Keep up the good work. Glad there were no complications coming out of the womb swinging a fly.

sincerly
    somone who was not born with the knowledge of "true" steelheading and unfortunatly learned how to catch a trout first so I will never gain access to that special club.

If you want to fix things, vote for someone who gives a damn.

2. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    This type of post makes about as much sense as two women discussing feminism at a strip club.

Swing or nymph, traditional spey fly or glue egg probably make 0% difference to the fish after the metal hook has pierced into it's jawbone.

Let's face it gents, WE NEGATIVELY IMPACT STEELHEAD (and any species we pursue) NO MATTER HOW WE CHOOSE TO PURSUE THEM.

In the raw, we all are all imitating food to lure the fish to strike, we are all pretty savagely hooking fish with sharp metal hooks, we all bring the steelhead to it's life's most exhausted and dangerous point of survival. WE ALL KNOW THAT THERE IS A MORALITY RATE EVEN IN THE SHORTEST FIGHT AND GENTLE RELEASE.

We speak conversation? Can you imagine a marine biologist that works to protect Orcas hooking into one of his off day. Could you imagine a wolf conversationist setting a foot trap to catch a wolf and then discussing why that trap is a "safer trap" or "more traditional trap" than the next guys. The wolfs foot is broken and stuck in the trap, does it really matter?

I'd venture to say that a very, very few of us are abusing any fish cognitively. I also know that without sportsman there would be very few "watchdog" groups to drive any conservation at all (TU, Pheasant's Forever, Duck's Unlimited). So I guess we are a necessary evil?

To have the cavalier attitude that what we do (any type of fishing) is somehow good for the fish is ridiculous. If we were true conservationists we simply would NOT FISH and still support conversation in our fisheries.

So boys, jump off the fly fishing perch we all love to stand on.....

Let's go fishing, respect the resource, and each do the right thing. That's our little peice of conservation that we CAN effect everytime we wet the line.:confused:

3. Be Jofus G

Media:
    Forgive me if you weren't talking about my post. :)

That is a poor analogy. We all have the same goal here. Keeping fish runs healthy enough for us to catch more fish. The feminists goal is to shut down the nudie bar, not keep just enough smokin hot college chicks desperate enough to dance around naked for a few bucks.

Swinging a fly or nymph will have no effect on either situation.

4. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    I should have said thread, not post. No knives being thrown here, just food for thought.....

5. Be Jofus G

Media:
    Good Food! :)

PS Thanks for making me remember that it is legal to incedentally gill net an endangered chinook but is illegal to get a lap dance. ::beathead:

6. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Do statements like this entice the new and becoming fly fisherman to seek out the heritage and chivalry that was once taught by one steelhead fly fisherman to the other? I personally have fished and learned from our older generation and have learned a lot about steelhead, the history of their pursuit, reading water, fly presentation, etc. I swing wets, dries, nymphs as well as drift fish them and use the indicator. I catch fish all ways and find it enjoyable. I swinging water that should be swung and nymph a lot of water that you cannot. Heck some of the water I fish is the width of some of my spey rods. A lot if not all of this information that I have learned came from the past generations. The more you try to seperate your personal biases upon the new gerneration the more you will push that gap of understanding. All that will be left is the resentment from either side that we have been reading here.

Regardless of the generation gap in the new and old school fly fisherman, we both want to save our steelhead. I for one am looking forward to seeing my daughter catching her first steelhead no matter what technique she is using. I will teach the importance of both the heritage of the sport and the views of different people.

7. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    IBN FOR PRESIDENT !!!!:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:

8. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    thanks for the clarification on the 'tangle' nets. i guess i understood the mesh size to be small enough to 'tangle' fish of any size without damage to their gills. butt, i obviously did not understand the truth, or is that the truthiness, in this situation.

yep, some of us were lucky enough to fish in the 'days of yor.' and it was a fine time we had, catchin'and'a'killin. lots of fishes to be had by sport, commercial and NAs without too much friction. butt, thems'da days of yor, gone and fondly remembered by us old coggers.

today is a different story and it really suggests we all need to think about our scant and declining resources a bit differently. i can't place 'blame' at the feet of a single group. our current lack of fishes is an issue that spreads among a large number of politically connected big lobby groups. those same lobby groups have significant leverage on what are supposed to be public agencies focused on managment, but they don't.

so at the end of the day, its up to us as individuals to set our personal limits and do what we can, as individuals, to help our diminished steelhead stocks.