Steelhead Fly Boxes

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Big Tuna, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I'm curious what y'all use for carrying your steelhead flies. I have a large box with ripple foam and a Perrine w/ a swing leaf that I use primarily. Because I generally fish marabou spider patterns, I sometimes clip off the tips of the marabou while closing the Perrine. I'd like something that can handle a lot of big flies. What do you use?

2. Andy

Andy Workin in a sweet mullet

Media:
    I use the C&F Saltwater boxes by Scientific Anglers, those are pretty badass. You can have bunch of different foam inserts organized by size and target speices, each holding a ton of flies. Big streamer foam inserts for steelies, 10-row inserts for trout dries, and one for everything in between

Andy

3. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    I use morell boxes...love'em

4. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I have a pair of Perrine swing-leaf aluminum boxes, which I spray-painted matte black on the outside. One is for regular winter steelhead flies; the other is for lead-weighted, metal-eyed, or extra heavy wire hooks.

Perrine is apparently out of business, and I miss them. The same style of Wheatley box, in which I keep summer steelhead flies, is better finished, but costs about four times as much.

You can control the nipping of loose maribou fibers by putting sleeves over maribou flies. These sleeves are nothing more than 1 - 1.5" sections of plastic soda straws.

5. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    Interesting about Perrine going out of business, I've been using their Model #95 for years, (swing leaf, all clips) I have several of them. I purchased the last one a month ago at Sportco in Fife. I noticed that the quality was not even close to the older ones.

It true that they can crush long maribou herls, it doesen't seem to make any difference when wet.
    You can store large and small flies, and they are easy to locate.
    Another good thing about this type box is after a day of fishing, just open the box and let it air dry. Winter time, open the box and place it near a heater vent, or other mild heat source. Never had any rust.

Don

6. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I've used the Morell boxes for a long time, and love them as well. Then my girlfriend bought me a C&F box for my birthday, so now I of course use it, and I love it. Both are very nice.

Take care all,
    Jeff

7. Steelheader

Steelheader Only 3 more years until I can think like a fish.

Media:
    C&F are in my vest. Love there large boxes, and they are waterproof. You can pick one up at Sportco for $29.00.

8. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    Depending upon the flies, I use a variety. Morrel boxes are nice, certainly priced right and light. I also use Wheatleys, probably because of nostalgia to some extent. What I don't like about the Wheatleys is that by using the clips, the flies get smashed on one side. If you pack your flies to densely in the Morrels, you'll have troubles too. Sometimes I'll use plastic boxes with small compartments to avoid the flies getting smashed. Sometimes, if I'm just using marabou, I just stuff some marabou patterns in a small plastic bag and throw that in the pouch in my Simms waders. I hate carrying too much stuff...

9. Calico Keta

Calico Keta Member

Orvis lightweight.
    very light ,durable and cheap.
    Used to use the Morrels, now the Orvis.
    [​IMG]

10. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

I like Wheatley's but understand why someone might have an issue with the clips, especially if they've spent precious time tying flies that will get partially flattened. Since most of my flies are subsurface, that doesn't bother me too much. The nice thing about Wheatley's is that they are sturdy enough to pass on to the next generation, which I am eager to when the time comes.