Steelhead Fly Fishing For Dummies....

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Decker, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

:beathead:

Agent Montana....have you ever marinated an otter before ? :)

2. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    My suggestion would be to not get discouraged. Firstly you are looking for your first steelhead on a fly and a winter-run steelhead at that. If you do not catch a winter-run this winter always keep in mind that the summer runs are fairly aggressive to the fly. If you ever want to fly-fish for summer-runs I would suggest the Deschutes in Oregon from July-November near the mouth. I too used to be a pretty decent trout angler but I have since become addicted to steelhead. I think I only went fishing for trout maybe three times last summer. I recently made a calendar outlining run timings on some rivers I have fished and have realized I can fish for the from June-April. Looks like May will be a trout month! I would also suggest Trey Combs book like others have. It is a very nice book and will get you enthused between long droughts of no fish.

3. nick m

nick m New Member

Media:
    In terms of books I would have to recommend my very favorite on the subject, "Magical Flyfishing for Majestic Steelhead" by the one and only Clay Sharp. In terms of water, come to the East Side!

4. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

Media:
    I spent almost 200 hours steelhead fishing before I caught my first fish on the swing. A majority of that time was spent on the hoh, with a buddy of mine who guides down in Northern California, really knows his stuff. It's all about time on the water. We really got to know the river. I would definitely get frustrated... but then all I had to do was look up and around, realize where I was, and that frustration would just disappear. One of the things that makes steelhead fishing worth it for me is being able to stand in a river, without catching anything, and really appreciating where I am. Of course, it makes it a lot easier to appreciate where you are when you know from personal experience that what your doing there actually produces fish on occasion. But, yeah reading and research can help a lot, but nothing can replace time on the river, both for better fishing, and for a better mind, body, and spirit.

5. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

Media:
    mmmmm..... cheesy

6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    I gotta second that....

So far this is my first year for Steelies only swinging flies, and this is how it worked out....

Trip to Sky in Dec - Nothing in 10 hours
    Trip to river starting in S in Jan - Nothing in 10 hours
    Trip to Puyallup river in Jan - Nothing in 8 hours
    Trip to Skagit in Jan - Nothing in 10 hours
    Trip to Green River in Feb - Nothing in 4 hours
    Trip to Hoh in Feb - Nothing in 10 hours
    Trip to Hoh in Feb - Nothing in 10 hours
    Trip to Hoh in Feb - First hookup 10 hours
    Trip to Hoh in Feb - Second and Third Hookup 10 hours
    Trip to Queets in Feb - Fourth and Fifth Hookups 10 hours
    Trip to Queets in Feb - First fish 10 hours

So in all, I had nearly 120 hours on the water with nothing to show for it other than getting out of the house and enjoying being on the river. If numbers are your aim, either nymph or fish gear. If you want to enjoy the experience and have an excuse to improve your cast, and master subtle presentation, then swing flies! :)

The other big help is to go with someone experienced. My hookups all occured when I got a lot of fishing flaws fixed by Bob Triggs and Steve Buckner. Guides are a great resource, but if you don't have the money, then hook up with someone that *really* gets into fish they way you want to pursue them. A lot of guys catch fish, but they don't usually use the methods you are looking into.

Stick to it though, that first fish is about as unbelievable as you can imagine! :)

-- Cheers
    -- James