Steelhead Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Don Stracener, May 4, 2006.

1. Don Stracener New Member

Grants Pass, Or
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Stephen,

Got one set last night, we are still waiting for one more.

Maybe have that one tonight! :confused:
  2. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Don, Philster's arrived I presume? it went out priority mail Friday!!!:mad:
  3. Don Stracener New Member

Grants Pass, Or
    Yes it was Philster's that arrived! :thumb:

Having a little internet problem from the house. Got some pictures of them last night and will ' I hope ' post them tonight or tomorrow morning.

Great looking flies, one set to go!

Pictures Posted For Steve and Philster at 9:30 - 6.28.6
  4. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Hey Philster those are some Badass looking flies I can't wait to get them, same with Steve's!
  5. Philster New Member

You can certainly riffle hitch and skate the forward wing one, but it's actually designed to be tied on straight and fished with a standard swing as a "damp" pattern. Great follow-up if a fish rolls on a waker but doesn't take. Right in the film and some wiggle to it...
  6. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    I really like the diversity of styles. Once I tie up a few copies of your contributions, the question will be which pattern to use first (and when to switch to another offering). Can't wait for the flies to arrive.

Steve
  7. Don Stracener New Member

Grants Pass, Or
    We have all the flies as of today! :beer2:

I'll sort them out get get them back on the way right after the 4th.
  8. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Got my flies yesterday, WOW nice patterns I can't wait to wet a few!
  9. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Hi Don and fellow swappers,

Wow, I arrived home yesterday to find a nice package of imagination. Mike, that intruder variant should be called the nightmare; I might bite it just because I'm afraid of it. The two spider variations from James look like great low-water offerings, especially for searuns in the Cowlitz starting in a few weeks. Similarly, the freight train by Stephen, the purple brat by Mike, and the orange creation from Chris should cover the full range of light conditions from bright midday to twilight. I have a trip scheduled to the Hoh in August and I'm sure to tie up my own version of Don's worm flies; the pink worm is likely to be very effective in the often limited visibility there. Phil's skaters may help me fulfill my goal of taking a steelhead at the surface - interesting options. And I don't know what to make of Chris's signal light, seems like a provocative "now for something completely different" change of pace fly.

Thanks Don for arranging this and thanks to you guys for your interesting creations. May they all bring us oodles of steelies.

Steve
  10. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I received mine as well. thanks for hosting don and thanks everyone for tying
  11. Philster New Member

Well, assuming everyone got theirs, I'm not getting mine bawling: Haven't seen them, don't expect to. Bummer, but the mail gods have been good to me lately, and I guess I was due to be stung my Mailor, the Norse god of lost mail. Sold off all my expensive guitars and replaced them with inexpensive great players. Shipped 3 guitars to various points in the country with NO problems. In the big picture, not getting the flies is small potatoes. Sad, but I can tie some up from the pictures. Look to be some salmon killers among the rabbit ones :thumb:
  12. Don Stracener New Member

Grants Pass, Or
    Philster,

See PM - Will get you taken care of if they don't show.

Don
  13. Philster New Member

Thanks for the kind thoughts Don, but really, I'm covered. You wouldn't believe the number of flies I have amassed over my time :eek: I usually travel to Mexico... When I did travel to Mexico... with about 600 flies... I have bins of steelhead flies, all unsorted, that I just paw through depending on season. whatever penetrates my skin I fish. Another good reason to go barbeless! I didn't participate to add to my stash :beer2:
  14. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +52 / 1
    Any word on My flies? I just got back from AK 2 days ago.
    Chris
  15. Philster New Member

Hey all, my attention has been on stuff other than fishing for the past month or so. Anyway I did eventually get my flies, weeks late, and the envelope looked like it went to the crossroads, sold its soul to the Debbel, went on a world tour playin' da blues, and somehow beat the devil, escaped Heck, and landed on my door. The flies inside were perfect, but I have no idea what the carriers did to this poor package. All's well that ends well. My apologies to Don for not getting back to y'all about the package arriving:eek:
  16. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +52 / 1
    My flies were here. I had to search deeper through the mail. Good Flies.
    Chris