Steelhead Heaven

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jroni, Nov 10, 2002.

1. jroni Member

North Bend, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I fished the Snoqualamie Saturday morning and had maybe my greatest day of steelhead fishing yet. I was really just out to unwind for a couple of hours and see if any steelhead or salmon were in the river before I needed to take the wife wine tasting. I fished for an hour or so catching a few white fish and a SRC until I hit a long riffle I had never fished before. Perfect hole.

First cast, Steelie!!! A couple acrobatic leaps later and he was off. Second cast, Steelie, a small 4-5 pound hatchery that was much smaller than the first fish but chrome bright. A few minutes later I caught my biggest steelhead ever about a 14# wild fish. He took all of my line out and I had to chase him down stream. Serves me right for using a 6 weight rod.

At this point, I'm in shock and am giddy with delight. I've never caught a wild fish before. This was more like trout fishing than steelhead fishing. This is how it is supposed to be. How many fish are in this hole? I'm only 10 minutes from my house in North Bend how is this possible? All of these questions were running rampant in my mind.

I keep fishing the same riffle and after an hour or two I've caught 4 steelies (4#, 8#, 10#, 14# would be my guess)hooked at least 2 others and caught a dozen whitefish mixed in to confuse me and keep me on my toes. Two were chrome bright and the other two still in great shape.

I'm scared to go back because like any sequel it can never be as good as the original.

I think I died and went to Steelhead heaven, God, please let me stay.

jr
  2. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Would like to here what you used, and were abouts is this steelhead heaven?.
  3. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Jammin! That sounds like heaven to me, too! congrats! Now, when will you be spilling the beans?

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  4. Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Sammamish, WA, USA.
    Man SMOKIN!!!! That is awesome I live in North Bend also and would love to hit up the snoqualmie with you some weekend. I usually fish the south fork, but have been looking into nailing some steelies..!! Well let me know if you ever want to hook up, and thanks for giving me some hope, for I am still searching for my first steelie!!!! :THUMBSUP

Mike
    mcolagrossi@attbi.com
  5. Dan Reynolds Member

Bozeman, Mt
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Somebody pinch him... :THUMBSUP
  6. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Right on. Looks like I should have been looking for steelhead instead of salmon this weekend.

I found a few spots kind of like that last year off of David Powell rd (but not quite as friendly to me as yours...).

I found that one spot was only fishable or only held fish during certain water flows. So my window of fishing it was pretty limitted. The other spot fishes well under a variety of conditions, but especially right after a good rain and the fish are on the move.

I'm betting that you had one of those perfect timing kind of experiences. Rebember that spot (like you'd forget ...) and also the conditions.

I also live in NBend and like to hit the river often on my way to work in the mornings. Maybe we can hookup sometime...
  7. gknell9 New Member

kirkland, wa, usa.
    Where on the river did you fish?????
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

He can't tell you because you'd be there all the time since your retired, And since I'm retired also I'd be there too. Ha Ha Ha :TONGUE

Jim
  9. jroni Member

North Bend, WA.
    I know the 3 forks of the Snoqualamie quite well above the falls but I don't know much of the holes or names below the Falls. The riffle was near a golf course but I had to walk a ways so it may be closer to other entry points that are better named.

As far as the fly I was using, it is small, round, orange and I usually like mine "scrambled".

jr
  10. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Great story! And, nicely written, too!

I can relate, as I had a similar day a couple of years ago, where I caught 3 steelhead and lost 6 more (my fishing partner said I lost more, but I'm sure he was just trying to get in his digs). And, having only caught a couple of steelies on a fly before, it was an ecstatic day for me.

Good for you!
  11. JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Bellingham, Washington, USA.
    If you don't mind me asking, was this golf course, upstream or downstream of Fall City? Oh and great story, I enjoyed it, thanks.
  12. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    NICE POST! Rent a big truck and haul us all to your spot.
    You can have the place you want, lunch and drinks will be free.
    All your jokes will be laughed at and all your stories will be beleved.
    Money will be loaned to you, and if unmarried, you will be fixed up with someone's sister. Flies, leaders,etc., will all be taken care of
    Is there anything else we can do? When and where do meet? What can we say? What can we do? :THUMBSUP
  13. lastcall Member

Bellingham, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I could try to supply a sister (with her permission of course). Please supply your personal preferances to see if it matches up. I would also sweeten the pot by adding a case of your favorite brew or a bottle of your favorite Scotch. Ok! What are you waiting For! :THUMBSUP
  14. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    How bought a hint on were, and what you were using. You can have my children.
  15. jroni Member

North Bend, WA.
    Boys, I'm afraid steelhead heaven is under a few feet of water at this point. If the flows drop to about half of what they are I imagine it would be fishable again. I'll let you know :WINK

I have a wife and child so you all can keep your sisters and daughters:) but thanks for the offers.

As I mentioned before I was using an egg fly on a riffle about a mile upstream of a golf course. I'd be more precise if I knew the name of the hole or the golf course but there can't be too many.
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

How many golf courses are there in or above Fall City. Only one that I know of is Snoqualmie Falls. And it is upstream. There is one down stream away but I don't know if it is close to the river. Tall Chief it's up on a hill. But isn't there a golf course on both sides of the river there.

Edit: After what I wrote I went and checked out the Map Server site. There is only one golf course in Fall City.

Jim
  17. Bright Rivers Member

Bellevue, WA, USA.
    I was doing a little scouting in that area yesterday. I stopped to check out a great looking run about half a mile below Tokul Creek. There was an old timer using spinning gear fishing it. I asked him if he had fished that run a lot and he said he'd been fishing that spot for thirty years. He said that most years, by this time of year, he would have caught well over 50 steelies out of that hole, but this year he's only caught 2 since June 1 -- the slowest year he can remember.

If his experience is indicative of the Snoqualmie's summer run, I'd say you really lucked out and shouldn't expect a repeat performance. Cherish it.

Then again, maybe he was just trying to scare me away from his honey hole.

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick