Steelhead line

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jfh9, Mar 29, 2005.

1. jfh9 Member

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am in the process of getting my first steelhead setup together and wanted to get some opinions on what type/brand line you guys prefer.

Thanks, Ryan
  2. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Most of us will probably need a little more information in order to be of much help. Single handed or double handed rod? Winter or summer runs? Size of flies? Casting style? Rod taper/action? Multi tip? Shooting head system? Skagit system? Answers to these would help.
    Chris
  3. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    If you're on a single hander and are planning on getting serious for the ocean run fish out here, just go ahead and drop the money on a Versi-Tip. It'll save you money in the long run.
  4. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +434 / 0
    I'd suggest taking a look at Rio's Anadromous Advantage interchangeable-tip line. They have finally figured out what steelheaders in the PNW (who started building their own interchangeable tip systems in the '60s) have known for years; except in really extraordinary circumstances nobody needs an intermediate or slow-sink tip for steelhead fishing. The system features a floating tip and 7', 15' and 24' sink tips.
  5. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    I'm not so sure that manufacturers have yet figured out what PNW steelheaders need, or prefer, for steelhead flyfishing. Part of the reason is probably the diversity of preferences. That said, if I had no steelhead gear and wanted a place to begin that is both simple and effective, AND I knew how, or was willing to learn how, to splice or add loops to flyline, I'd do the following:

Acquire an 8 weight 9 or 9 1/2' rod and suitable reel.
    Buy a WF8F flyline. After attaching the line to the reel backing and winding the line on the reel, cut off the front 15' of line. Add or splice loops to both the cut ends.
    But 3 shooting heads in 8 weight with sink rates of 1", 3", and 6 or 7" per second. Cut those in 15' sections, and add loops to each end of each sink tip, one for connecting to your floating line and one for attaching a piece of leader tippet material.

With this outfit you'll be able to effectively flyfish most steelhead lies except those that actually require a double handed fly rod, or spinning or casting drift fishing rod.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  6. jfh9 Member

Bremerton, Wa
    Just to clarify I am planning on getting an 8wt single handed rod. Forgot to add that.

Ryan
  7. CFO Member

SUMAS WASHINGTON
    rio versi-tip or aiflow multi-tip. will suit for all sthd and salmon situations...... fresh and salt