Steelhead Lovers--Sharing Letter of Roderick Haig-Brown

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by dryflylarry, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    I have put this off too long and would like to share with all of you fine steelheaders that have the fever. Attached is a reply to a letter I wrote to Roderick Haig-Brown back in 1974. I don’t have a copy of the letter I wrote, however, you can surmise what I was asking. (If the attachment doesn’t work, please let me know and I will repost) I have held off mounting this treasure since 1974 and welcome any and all ideas. My thought has been to tie up a “Steelhead Bee” with a shadow box and his letter. I did accomplish my goal of landing steelhead on a dry flies (although not many since I got away from it somehow), including one on a Steelhead Bee at the North Umpqua. I have since slowed my pursuit of the steelhead dramatically, but intend to reignite the fever maybe this fall someplace, or actually probably this summer. Anyway, here’s to all you steelhead fly fisherman that use to read Roderick Haig-Brown, the person that taught me to love fly fishing. Enjoy.

:)
  2. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +541 / 0
    It didn't scan well. I can't read it.

Go Sox,
    cds
  3. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +839 / 1
    Wow! What a teasure.

I double-clicked the thumbnails and they filled the screen and were perfectly readable.

Thanks for sharing,
    Leland.
  4. Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    It was wonderful to read that. It inspires me to get a steelhead on a dry more now. Thanks a lot for posting that.

Clint
  5. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Try clicking on the image again once you load it (the zoom button) Let me know if it works or not again. Thanks.
  6. Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    It worked for me.

Clint
  7. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +541 / 0
    Outstanding!

Go Sox,
    cds
  8. JE Active Member

Great NW
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    Did you take him up on his offer to "call in?"
    JE
  9. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    I wanted to get up there badly, but never made it in time. He went to the big fishing stream in the sky about 1976, two years later.
  10. Will Atlas Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    wow, that is pretty special. thanks for sharing that, I need to try dead drifting a dry more often for summer fish. I have no doubt it works exceedingly well on the right piece of water.
  11. HogWrangler Member

Stanwood WA
    Thank you for sharing!!!!
  12. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    What a great letter! Thanks for sharing it with us. I just finished reading The Western Angler (for the umteenth time). I read it every year to keep my fly-fishing head on straight. Your letter is just like a page from Haig-Brown's book -- only personal.
    Les Johnson
  13. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    Pretty cool,

Two months (minus two days) from my birth date.
  14. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Very cool! I was seven when you got this! :cool: It would look cool with a Steelhead Bee and maybe a nice picture of a fish that you caught using this advice, if you have one.

The last comment about not seeing a graphite rod yet, is interesting as well!

Thanks for sharing!
    Bill :cool:
  15. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Man, thats amazing, thanks for sharing. I was still 14 years away from being born when this was written.
  16. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    That letter is a treasure!
  17. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    My favorite part is the end when he says he has never tried a graphite rod.

Very neat letter; gets me amped for the June 1st opener.
  18. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,617 / 0
    Larry,

That's a cool keepsake. I had the good fortune to meet Haig-Brown once, and got an autograph for a book. I believe he died in October 1975. Close to November, the month he wrote of as best suited for dying - the end of the fishing season.

Sg
  19. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    If anyone posting this thread has not read Roderick Haig-Brown's work, I urge you to do so. The thrust and clarity of this letter will be evident in the turn of every page of one of his books.
    I suggest starting with The Western Angler, then move on to A River Never Sleeps, Fisherman's Fall and the rest.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  20. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Ballard, WA