Steelhead Madness!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by XstreamAngler, Apr 10, 2002.

1. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Over 100,000 steelhead return, 90% are pond raised, pooling like Pink Salmon in the hundreds! Where? The Salmon River in Idaho! Ahhhhhh, the life of a trout bum! Fly to Boise, scoot to Sun Valley, have a drink at Bruce's bar, looked for Demi, passed out in a circle of Busch cans, head to Salmon via Stanley and BANG!!! A journey over 900 miles make the fish long and skinny, but eager to hit ANYTHING!!!! Hell, a chicken leg would have produced a fish!!

Keep your knuckles away from your reel when it is 16 degrees out!

Xstream
    XstreamAnglers.Com :THUMBSUP

2. rockfish

rockfish Member

sounds killer, have you caught many up there? Ben

3. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Ya know, this was my first trip for that, I had always found it hard to swallow hitting cold steel in the middle of Idaho, but it was sure nuts to see! I normally hit the Salmon when looping the Lost, Silver Creek, The wood etc. for trout and I would rather drive 45 minutes up I-5 for cold steel rather than 800 miles away!

4. FishPirate

FishPirate New Member

I've had good luck between Challis and Stanley. Did you hit the stretch below the campground and upstream of Tory? Anything in white or purple seems to work well. Water temperature and moving fronts seem to be key.

Never tried a chicken leg however. . .