Steelhead Nymphing Article

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Zen Piscator, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
  2. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:
    Good work Andy & Mike :thumb: Nice read.

3. MauiJim

MauiJim ka lawai'a

Media:
    Nice work Zen-- I really like the included photos :thumb:

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    excellent work!

5. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Well done fellas...thorough and informative. Thanks for sharing.

6. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    That was really well done guys, kudos........I learned some shit that I'll put to use!

My 8th Grade Woodshop teacher looked exactly like that "Short Buser" fly, complete with bulging eyes, unkempt whiskers and weird rubbery barbels sticking out of his face.........:rofl:

7. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    Nice job, Andy and Mike!

8. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Andy did a great job with the article. I only added a few ideas and experiences. Great job Andy!

9. ssickle1

ssickle1 Slow and Low

Media:
    Good article. Helps when it's true.

10. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Thanks Andy and Mike. I enjoyed reading your article and picked up some good info. :thumb:

11. Eric Blankenship

Eric Blankenship New Member

Thanks for the article guys. People that take the time and effort to write something like that make this sommunity much more inviting for us 'under-informed'.

Eric (loading up the printer with write-in-the-rain paper) :cool:

12. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:

Did he have missing fingers? I think it should be a prerequisite for any "shop" teacher to have a few missing digits to have any credibility.

:rofl:

13. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Great article.

I used to use the double uni-knot with a fast-tie tool to tie on my tippet, but I was getting break-offs right below the knot leaving a short curled end. I hypothesized that the double uni-knot was making a little inflexible barrel resulting in transferring a lot of hinging to the single filament mono above and below the knot leading to fatigue and failure after hours of casting. I went back to a surgeons knot. Not as strong, but quicker to tie, so I retie it more often. I'll have to look up the Pitzen knot.

I once tried to nymph through a deep slot on the Washougal liked by bait plunkers. I tied on about 16 feet of straight mono with an indicator 15.5 ft. above my globug. Then I found I couldn't get the globug up out of the water with a 9 ft. rod because the indicator wouldn't let me retrieve any more line and without any fly line out past the tip guide, I couldn't roll or whip it up to the surface either. Have you ever been faced with this? Have any solutions?

14. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Paul,
    Yes. There are some strike indicators that will release w/ a firm hook set and slide down the leader. I got a few at the FF show in Bellevue a few year ago from a fly shop in Port Townshend (I think). I also believe Phil Rowley is marketing them for stillwater long leader chironomid fishing.

15. NorthernExposure

NorthernExposure not bad for a yankee

Media:
    Yo andy,

badass article, with rad photos. That type of work can get you paid brotha. What kind of camera are you using? do you have a macro or zoom lens on that biatch!? ~ Steve

16. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Haha...thanks Steve.

The camera is a water resistent pentax option 3200. It's a good little camera but I yearn for a digital slr. Gonna start having to get paid to finance something like that.

Paul, I have had the same delima as you, here was my solution. Take off the indicator, keep that 15 foot leader and tightline the flies through the slot. I know quick release indicators have been mainly used in stillwater fishing, not sure about moving water apps. but I think they might work.

The knot i use is not a traditional double uni knot. Rather, it is like 2 snell knots but instead of snelling on the hook shank, you snell each one to the line you are attaching it too. It seems to work well and is a fast tie for me.

Peace,
    Andy

17. crobarr

crobarr New Member

long leaders and short rods= step back and get some room, and use a tapered leader. 5-6' of 40# stiff mono+ 4-5' of 20#+ 4-5' of tippet (i use 8#). leave a good 10' of line out for the mass needed to roll your leader/fly to the surface. snap-t gets you back out after the dangle. may need some/more/bigger split shot to compensate for the leader drag.

that's the only way i've been able to throw such a rig on my 8.5' 6 wt. until i learned some spey casts, i could only use such a rig off of a cliff. lmao! give it a try.

if there's a better method i'd love to hear it because i look like a chimp with a buggy whip when i'm doing this... ;)

18. Porter

Porter Active Member

Good Job Guys...Great read and educational........:) :)

19. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    No, but the dumbass never wore safety glasses. Flying shards of metal, flying pencils from unruly kids hopped up on Fig Newtons and flying Ninja Stars creatively crafted by yours truly from leftover sheet metal finally took their toll on poor Mister Edmiston. He now resemblers a pirate or one of the Chihuly boyz..................I'd post a pic but people might ralph :rofl:

20. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    This is a great article ptyd , being a relative newb' to fly fishing this answers alot of questions I didn't even know I had, since the rivers were totally tatered during the prime time I had to go out, about nymphing.

I've book marked the article and will come back to it periodically for refreshers as I misinterprate the the appliation of what you guys wrote. :beathead:

One small note (Working from top to bottom) the 5th and 9th pictures both return 404 errors when you click on the picture. Just thought you should know :cool: .

Thankx for the great read :beer2: .