Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead:Nymphing or Swinging

23K views 216 replies 91 participants last post by  clarkman 
#1 ·
I have noticed more people are fishing egg patterns on the river out of drift boats with a lot of lead to keep it down. They like it and think this is fly fishing. I think it is gear fishing with a fly rod. I have nothing against gear fishing but I can't believe these people think this is fly fishing and are proud of it. They lob there lead weight or slinkie 25 ft. praying they don't hit there rod and then drift with the boat. The reality of this is that the person rowing the boat is actually the one doing the fishing if he is not on the money reading water they won't touch a fish. I prefer to swing most of the time. If they want to fish like this why not get the gear rod out and do it right. I would rather go down swinging than catch a fish on the fly rod like this because that is exactly what there doing catching a fish on a fly rod not fly fishing! I'm curious how many people have observed this on the river and what your thoughts are on Lob fishing!:confused:

#158 ·
Put words into my mouth if you choose. Self limiting makes no sense to me. If you are using one standard practice and are varying it then perhaps you are not self limiting. Announcing that nymphing is "ridiculously easy" is you putting your stamp of disapproval on those that choose to nymph because they enjoy it. That is a very narrow minded, similar to what you are accusing me of being. Those that have met me and see how eager I am to try a variety of flies, presentations and techniques would not label me as narrow minded. You may label me as such if you wish. You can't always be right.

#160 ·
I find swinging to be ridiculously easy. Laughably so! I now pursue native steelhead with a lasso. That is the only respectful way to pursue these great fish. You have no idea how hard it is to lasso a steelhead's tail as he tries to vault up a section of shallow rapids. What an adrenaline rush!

#162 ·
Ha Nick! And you call yourself a fisherman? I now fish with my teeth, it is the Only way to show proper respect to this great fish. Catching fish with your teeth is hard, that water is cold.

#165 ·
Great PM Ryan. I'm not upset with you and if I offend, I apologize. I just see a river as too varied for any one method. How can one not probe the beauty of a deep hold that seems to beg for a nymph to be passed through? High sticked, indicator rigged or otherwise? When I grow up and develop some skill and confidence I may well employ one method over another.

#166 ·
As challenging as it is trying to lasso a steelhead, I have to admit that with years of experience it has slowly become child's play for the likes of myself. My latest venture is to not fish for steelhead at all, rather I've taken steps to become a steelhead. I strip down to nothing but a silver speedo and a plastic shark fin and I cruise the tailouts of popular swinging water, biting any traditional spey fly swung at the right depth. Fighting steelhead is fun, but being a steelhead fighting a fisherman is much more exciting. Nothing I love more than grabbing a swung fly and tearing off downstream, making the unsuspecting angler's Hardy sing like nobody's business. And believe me, I'd never consider eating a nymph!

I'm having an adipose fin surgically attached to my lower back next month, as this is the only true method of becoming one with these great fish.

#168 ·
Dude, I hooked you two weeks back in the donut hole on the HoBogQueDuc from the left bank. You turned into the current then downstream and damn near spooled me. I had to point it and break it off. Give me back that spey fly. That Akroyd, tied dark, is one of my favorites.

#169 ·
That was you??? That was one of my finest moments. The look on your face as I raced downstream was priceless. I could hear that real zinging even down around the next bend. I was going give you a fighting chance until I realized that you weren't a native. After that I lost interest.

I have that fly on my mantle as a reminder of that great day. Remind me to give it back next time we run into each other.

#180 ·
While I certainly ride the fence when it comes to the many so-called definitions of fly fishing, I ask myself, "Why are we arguing over something we should be enjoying, sharing, and/or teaching?"

No wonder the sportsmen/women of Washington State (or other northwest states for that matter), whether gear or fly, cannot come together, reach common ground, and battle the "powers that be" and be a part of the solution(s) instead of part of the problem(s). It somewhat appears "we" are more concerned with who is throwing jigs on a fly rod, but hold no concern for weighted flies or patterns tied with a large conehead. Could this be also a small part of the reason why so many anglers don't want to get involved with saving the resource too? The elitist attitude?

What ever happened to heading to the river (or lake) with a couple of friends, fishing a run or two, enjoying a shot or two of Scnapps , lighting up a good cigar, or sharing a few flies or stories while standing around a fire on the rocks? Why would I want to swing a fly in pocket water? Why would I want to nymph in water more conducive to swinging a fly? Am I any different than thou if I choose to fish differently than your beliefs?

I may not agree with your decision to fish a certain method or technique, but I'll certainly respect it and those getting out to fish rather than bitching about it here!

In summary... I personally do not care how you or others fish as long as you do so legally, respect the resource and others while fishing! Additionally, if you have an opportunity to share your gift, teach others (newbies), and set the example, so much better! Remember, there is more to being a sportsman/woman than knowing how to swing a fly, nymphing, waking, fishing damp or dry.... this is only a minute part of it! It starts with us.

#181 ·
I like a challenge...

Bowfishing Sturgeon on the Columbia, Noodling Steelhead, Dungeness on a dry fly, Trout with a bobber and stinkbait, swinging Whitefish with an 8" intruder, once I almost caught a King on a Bhudda keychain...but the drag didn't hold up on my Pocket Fisherman....it's a zen thing...'ya know?......gonna go elk hunting with a leatherman this year....gotta go....busy practicing gettin' that damn Phillips head pulled out...WD40?

Peace..everyone....:)

#192 ·
Reactions: clarkman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.