Steelhead:Nymphing or Swinging

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by McQ, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have yet to hear much of an elaboration on this. Is it just a higher form because it's less effective, therefore each fish counts that much more? Don't get me wrong, I swing most of the time too (all of my fishing on the wet side is swinging), I just don't see it as a "higher form."

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    This is all a bunch of bullshit. Fish how you want, who cares who cares how you fish but you? If you are truly talented you can fish any piece of water in the method best suited for that water, change from run to run as the river system dictates and have a good time. If you think sticking to one presentation type and method is a good time, congatulations. I think you are being narrow minded, not utilizing all the techniques possible and that is that. My perception is my reality and those unwilling to expand their techniques, styles or methods are self limiting and entertaining.

3. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

The swing is the thing,

that I like.

c/22

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    You sir, have explained my thoughts better than I could have myself.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
  6. Ed Call

Media:
    Rideshare anyone? I'd be prepared for swinging and nymphing.

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:

I've only caught steel on gear rods, so I don't have much input on this topic, but this logic just escapes me. Steelhead somehow "deserve" a razor sharp hook in their mouth, and the following life or death fight, when its a fly that has been swung....But that same scenario with a fly that was drifted through with some lead or an indicator or whatever somehow is not good enough for these fish? What the hell ever.

All I can say is that I will never take kindly to anyone who feels the need to tell me that my method of fishing is wrong or less than. To each their own, and if we are truly thinking about what the steelhead deserve, well I'd say they deserve to be left the hell alone more than anything. But what do I know.

8. lespaulrock

lespaulrock Member

This is just like high school, jocks vs. nerds.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I know someone who changed their plans to be there for the opener.

10. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    Mumbles so does that mean you float egg skeins and sand shrimp in the deeper holes of the Klick or whatever rivers allow it because it is the most effective method for that piece of water? Right....

11. Ed Call

Media:
    Nope, I'm willing to swing a fly, preferably one I tied. If the run is more suited for a nymph rig, I'll try to pass a nymph through, again, preferably one that I tied. I have caught my share of fish with bait, corkies, yard, spin and glos and such. Now I fly fish. And I don't give a rat's ass if it is a swung spey fly, a bunny, esl, dry or nymph and if it was swung deep, skated or twitched. I guess I'm of weak moral character, but no, my egg drifting days under a float have passed.

Edit: And a bead, well, it is not my preferred artificial method of enticing fish, but if all else fails I think that there is some potential for a bead. Hopefully it will be in combination with something more attractive, but we all know I don't know shit anyway. Fish however you wish, even if you are the one floating the big gob of stinky eggs and good luck to you.

12. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    Mumbles, all I am saying is, we each draw our own moral boundaries. And simply saying someone has a narrow view because they choose not to nymph is a pretty unfair point in my opinion.

13. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    Mumbles, I think that was the best serious answer yet...oh, and you avatar makes me hungry...

Guinness, it's what's for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

personally, I'll do either...as long as it's a fly tied by me...that's where I get more satisfaction...

14. Ed Call

Media:
    Ryan, you are of course entitled to your opinion, as you well know. I will stand tall to my opinion that if all you will do is swing then you are self limiting. If you will only nymph, self limiting. I guess all those purists that are self limiting are so damn good at the method they fish that they can be comfortable with their single methodology. I am not self limiting in that manner. I do not have the talent or luxury of limitless time to fish. I prefer to fish to the situation and water and challenge myself in that regard. My two cents only, and that plus a hell of a lot more might buy a latte. Self limiting is to each their own. I still believe it is narrow minded, unfair point or not, it is my right to state my point of view.

15. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    more like, dicks vs. douches...

16. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    Mumbles, I never said it wasn't your right to state your opinion. My only point is to try to show you that you limit your approaches too. Just because someone chooses to swing doesn't mean they aren't trying new tactics (i.e. stack mending a sink tip etc.). I choose to swing, that doesn't mean I haven't nymphed before or don't know what it is about. I have, it is ridiculously easy in my opinion, and to me not that enjoyable. Because I chose to do what is most enjoyable to me does not make me narrow minded. Fish however you want, within the law, but I dont feel that Ed Ward, or Dec Hogan, or any weekend warrior who decides to swing is automatically narrow minded in their approach.

17. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Who cares? Just fish.

18. Ed Call

Media:
    Put words into my mouth if you choose. Self limiting makes no sense to me. If you are using one standard practice and are varying it then perhaps you are not self limiting. Announcing that nymphing is "ridiculously easy" is you putting your stamp of disapproval on those that choose to nymph because they enjoy it. That is a very narrow minded, similar to what you are accusing me of being. Those that have met me and see how eager I am to try a variety of flies, presentations and techniques would not label me as narrow minded. You may label me as such if you wish. You can't always be right.

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sean and I can say from first hand experience that casting a banjo minnow on a spey rod is NOT ridiculously easy. Therefore, because we have been witness to such a phenomenon happening, we are on a plane high above all others.
    [​IMG]

20. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I find swinging to be ridiculously easy. Laughably so! I now pursue native steelhead with a lasso. That is the only respectful way to pursue these great fish. You have no idea how hard it is to lasso a steelhead's tail as he tries to vault up a section of shallow rapids. What an adrenaline rush!