Steelhead:Nymphing or Swinging

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by McQ, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    iagree:thumb::beer1:
  2. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Ha Nick! And you call yourself a fisherman? I now fish with my teeth, it is the Only way to show proper respect to this great fish. Catching fish with your teeth is hard, that water is cold.
  3. Ryan Nathe Member

Seattle, WA
    Nick I can't wait to see you do this!

Mumbles, pm sent.

Sorry if it came across as a pissing match, I just took light offense to being called narrow minded because I choose to stick with swinging.

Apologies.
  4. Ryan Nathe Member

Seattle, WA
    nick, you should try to noodle a winter-run steelie.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    Great PM Ryan. I'm not upset with you and if I offend, I apologize. I just see a river as too varied for any one method. How can one not probe the beauty of a deep hold that seems to beg for a nymph to be passed through? High sticked, indicator rigged or otherwise? When I grow up and develop some skill and confidence I may well employ one method over another.
  6. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,125 / 4
    As challenging as it is trying to lasso a steelhead, I have to admit that with years of experience it has slowly become child's play for the likes of myself. My latest venture is to not fish for steelhead at all, rather I've taken steps to become a steelhead. I strip down to nothing but a silver speedo and a plastic shark fin and I cruise the tailouts of popular swinging water, biting any traditional spey fly swung at the right depth. Fighting steelhead is fun, but being a steelhead fighting a fisherman is much more exciting. Nothing I love more than grabbing a swung fly and tearing off downstream, making the unsuspecting angler's Hardy sing like nobody's business. And believe me, I'd never consider eating a nymph!

I'm having an adipose fin surgically attached to my lower back next month, as this is the only true method of becoming one with these great fish.
  7. Ryan Nathe Member

Seattle, WA
    I aspire to be you, being a steelhead.
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Dude, I hooked you two weeks back in the donut hole on the HoBogQueDuc from the left bank. You turned into the current then downstream and damn near spooled me. I had to point it and break it off. Give me back that spey fly. That Akroyd, tied dark, is one of my favorites.
  9. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,125 / 4
    That was you??? That was one of my finest moments. The look on your face as I raced downstream was priceless. I could hear that real zinging even down around the next bend. I was going give you a fighting chance until I realized that you weren't a native. After that I lost interest.

I have that fly on my mantle as a reminder of that great day. Remind me to give it back next time we run into each other.
  10. SteelSwing Banned or Parked

Cowlitz County
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    :cool: if your gonna nymph you might aswell go buy a bait rod and some real nice bobbers and jigs, n leave the swinging to real fishermen:cool:
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Real fishermen? That is some funny elitist shit right there.
  12. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    Looks like you'll have lots of hits on this bait.
  13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    I want to start a new thread, but it would be promptly removed I'm sure:

Head: Nymphos vs Swingers
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Easy now, that ain't right.
  15. Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Ellensburg, Washington
    damn you never tried eating a NYMPH ? what kind of man,,, ah,,,I mean fisherman,,, are you?????
  16. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I am so beyond debating nymphing and swinging. I have evolved to a higher form of fisherman. I have a "love everyone that respects the resource" mindset. F everyone else.
  17. anarchepirate New Member

Portland OR
    Do we not all Nymph for Rainbows? Or just use drys? I do both...consequently I will nymph or swing. Whatever is working that day for the Rainbow of the Sea. Oh that take on the swing, its like a 19 inch bow on a green drake...
  18. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    nice troll , the choice of bait was perfect,
  19. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +279 / 0
    you have to add a flasher when you troll...
  20. Baitfish Member

Gig Harbor
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    While I certainly ride the fence when it comes to the many so-called definitions of fly fishing, I ask myself, "Why are we arguing over something we should be enjoying, sharing, and/or teaching?"

No wonder the sportsmen/women of Washington State (or other northwest states for that matter), whether gear or fly, cannot come together, reach common ground, and battle the "powers that be" and be a part of the solution(s) instead of part of the problem(s). It somewhat appears "we" are more concerned with who is throwing jigs on a fly rod, but hold no concern for weighted flies or patterns tied with a large conehead. Could this be also a small part of the reason why so many anglers don't want to get involved with saving the resource too? The elitist attitude?

What ever happened to heading to the river (or lake) with a couple of friends, fishing a run or two, enjoying a shot or two of Scnapps , lighting up a good cigar, or sharing a few flies or stories while standing around a fire on the rocks? Why would I want to swing a fly in pocket water? Why would I want to nymph in water more conducive to swinging a fly? Am I any different than thou if I choose to fish differently than your beliefs?

I may not agree with your decision to fish a certain method or technique, but I'll certainly respect it and those getting out to fish rather than bitching about it here!

In summary... I personally do not care how you or others fish as long as you do so legally, respect the resource and others while fishing! Additionally, if you have an opportunity to share your gift, teach others (newbies), and set the example, so much better! Remember, there is more to being a sportsman/woman than knowing how to swing a fly, nymphing, waking, fishing damp or dry.... this is only a minute part of it! It starts with us.