Steelhead Nymphing Rod??

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Big Tuna, Jan 8, 2006.

1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Lotsa quality folks out there that can help you with that. The guys at AATF and Gregs Custom rods have excellent classes and are very classy folks. In terms of help in a custom rod, I'd be more than happy to help also :) Start with the best line for your rod first though. A crappy mismatched line will make even an XP cast like dookie. You don't need to spend a mint, but you do need to try quite a few :)

-- Cheers
    -- James

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    James,
    I've gathered from some of your posts and pictures that you build rods. Just out of curiosity, what are some 10-11' 4 piece blanks I should consider if I decide to build a nymphing rod? Again, something that doesn't break the bank. Thanks.

Jon

3. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Well, break the bank is a relative term... Also, moving to 10 or 11 foot rods really limits who makes blanks. Here are some blanks based on cost that I consider a good bang for the buck.... Also, I'm considering the use of a 7 or 8 wt rod...

Blanks I've used:

Batson Enterprises RX7 IF1007-3 ~$90. 10' 7 weight. Note it is a 3 piece rod, but doesn't come in the lengths you want in 10 foot.

Batson Enterprise RX6 F968-4 ~$45. 9'6" 8 weight, 4 piece rod. Slower action rod, a bit heavier, but for the price is the best in it's class

Dan Craft FT1008 ~ $90. 10 8wt, 4 piece rod. Fast blank, but very well built. If you go with this blank move up a line weight for nymphing, or use a steelhead taper. My favorite, but it is *very fast*.

Blanks with good reputations:

St. Croix 3FT1007 - $145. 10 7 wt, 4pieces. More expensive, slightly faster action, a bit heavy from what I understand.

Also, it's a good idea to head to AATF or Gregs custom rods to take a look at the St Croix and the Batson Enterprise blanks. They won't steer you wrong, and honestly building a rod isn't very hard... Also, I do have a Dan Craft blank right now that is unfinished, and you are more than welcome to take a look at, but I live in Tacoma, so I don't know how that would work out . If you have questions, I'd suggest starting a post on the Rod Building part of the site.

-- Cheers
    -- James

-- Cheers
    -- James