Steelhead on the fly

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by guest, Jan 9, 2002.

1. guest Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I read some where in this site about reading Trey Combs book about Fly Fishing for Steelhead. Well I went out and bought a copy. I am highly disapointed in the book. It was written 25 years ago. I guess it's not what I thought it was. A lot has changed in 25 years. The lines are differnt as are the reels and rods.The only thing that I found interesting was chapter 5. The presention about how to fish for them. Out of a book that is 118 pages long, seven pages was all that was good reading. Also there are about 40 pages on Steelhead flies and their origins. I for one would not reommend this book to anyone. This is just my .02 worth. Jim S. :DUNNO
  2. ray helaers New Member

Trey Combs has three books about steelheading. The first, rather small is I think called "Flyfishing for Steelhead." The second is called "Steelhead Flyfishing and Flies," wihich soulds like the one you have. The third, his magnum opus, is I think just called "Steelhead" or maybe "Steelhead Flyfishing." It's big, fat, exhaustive, and expensive (I think it's only available in hardback). It's much newer, about 5-7 years old, and includes some profiles of a few of the "best" steelheaders currently fishing.

I think if you give it a chance, "SF&F" might grow on you. I'll admit it may not have a whole lot of practicle value anymore, but Trey can be an engaging writer. The chapters on the history of steelhead flyfishing and the local traditions that developed is interesting and entertaining. Some of the descriptions of the flies also include a lot of historical and anecdotal information, and some of it is fascinating.

A long time ago, when I was in college, I was up late, working hard on a term paper on some novel by Dickens. Paul came into my room and asked what I was up to. I showed him the book, "Bleak House" I think. He looked at it a moment.

"There is nothing in this book," he said, "that is going to help you catch more or bigger fish."

I thought at the time, and still do, it was a very cogent comment (I cut class the next day so we could go fishing). But I also thought then, and still do, that it shouldn't necessarily be the last word in literary criticism.
  3. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    If it was my post, I apologize, as I meant like Ray said that the tome of high praise is actually called "Steelhead Fly Fishing". I find it mesmerizing to say the least. Each discussion whether it be about a river, a fisher, or a fly is just tremendous. To read the history of fishing the Rogue, the NF Stilly or the Sky is just tremendous.

I love this book.

Rob
  4. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +176 / 0
    Although you may not be in the market for another steelhead book, I think Deke Meyer's book "Advanced Flyfishing for Steelhead" is excellent with lots of practical advice (e.g., chapters on dry fly fishing, traditional wet swing, grease lining, winter fishing, the Jim Teeny method, nymphing, fishing with two handed rods, etc.).
  5. guest Guest

Although I like to read. I think that I bought my last book for a while. You can only get so much out of a book. If you don't put it to use no book is going to do me any good. Books don't fish,I have to fish. Well enough of this. Jim S. :COOK
  6. cal257 New Member

I also agree on Deke Meyers' "Advanced Fly Fishing For Steelhead." It is pretty up to date with the techniques and gear used today. It also has lots of old tricks that are worth looking at.