Steelhead opportunities...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by FloatTilla, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Hi Everyone,

I'm a Steelheader from Toronto, Canada here on a business trip and am wondering whether any steelhead opportunities exist within a short drive from the Seattle area... I'm not expecting anyone to provide hotspots, rather just river systems to consider..

many thanks

FloatTilla

2. It's a little early for the winter run, and a little late for the summer run soooo....... good luck. I would try the Skykomish between the towns of Monroe and Gold Bar, or (if you have some time for a drive) the Skagit anywhere east of I-5. Be sure to check the regulations - I cant remember what is open or not open right now.

3. Within 2 hours you have a lot of rivers to choose. The Skykomish, Snoqualmie, and Green are within 30-45 minutes. The Stilly is within an 45 minutes to an hour. The Skagit/Sauk rivers are within 1.5 - 2 hours (but it is early for steelhead on these two since they are primarily winter run rivers). The Puyallup is 45minutes or so. The Cowlitz is about 1.5 - 2 hours. The Challis, Satsop, Wynoochee, Humptulips are within 1.5 - 2 hours. These are all well-known rivers supporting steelhead.

The closest ones are the Sky, Snoqualmie, and Green. You might want to hit the Sky for chums, which are a ball on a fly.

4. Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info... In the toronto area the Steelheader are heading up the river systems after a good rain... or snow....this time of year... although the majority head up in spring.

Cheers
    Peter

5. The way I feel the last two years you have as much luck as a Washingtonian as a Foreigner...the mentioned rivers are the target, stick with egg sucking leeches, leeches or nymphs.....but then again I'm a guy telling you he hasn't done squat in the last two years basically with regards to SH...so maybe something new should be tried. Good Luck