Steelhead or Salmon.?? ..please help w ID

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by BruceAC, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceAC Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Recent hook up and release on Snoqualmie.
    Could i please get some help with proper ID as to Steelhead or Salmon?
    Thanks for your help
  2. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Coho, aka Silver
  3. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +656 / 5
    Yup. Buck silver.
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    Why do people go fishing and then not know what they are fishing for, or what they catch.
  6. stewart dee Guest

iagree

Looks like a very rare, could be the last of doe doe salmon.
  7. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    I know what I'm fishing for...I lack the skill to control what bites my fly.
    coho buck...burner
  8. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    Usually males have a far more pronounced kype by the time they turn that red. Also females run quite a bit grayer, like this example. I suggest it is most likely a female. I would be leery of betting it is male.

Here is an example of an "almost" coho male. Note the far larger kype at the same relative stage of coloring up. art

http://moldychum.typepad.com/moldy_chum/images/2008/12/01/great_lakes_coho.jpg
  9. Pieter Salverda Member

Ballard, Wa
    AWESOME! Just awesome!
  10. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.

Not always, and actually down here rarely. Now chums will have the overpronounced. Caught about 10 silvers that looked just liked that in October that milted me when I was releasing them (like the one in my avatar). Have seen more then my share of them. That is by far a buck. The hens rarely get a kype, at least all the dark ones I've unfortunately caught.
  11. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Nice Silver.

There are second run silvers and some can be really bright that start showing up in January.

It is not legal to retain Silvers after Jan 1st.

Dave
  12. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    I literally caught hundreds this year, like most... Tended toward earlier, brighter fish, but there were plenty of dark fish. I would be far more inclined to call it a hen. I caught a few silvers in WA while going to college at CWU (actually CWSC, too) and they looked just like the silvers I grew up catching, so I doubt there is much geographic variation, aside from timing.
    art
  13. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    Jerry
    Please take a look at the similar age coho I posted the link to... The kype is huge. That is what I would expect from males of the same apparent aging time frame. The modest kype on the fish above is in the very ordinary range for female coho, IME. I will grant it could be either, but I am pretty convinced it is a hen.
    art
  14. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Hap, I was talking about ONE DAY on the Satsop this year. Not all I've caught over a season (between winter and fall fish of 09, I caught my share of silvers) I have quite a few years of almost exclusively fishing for salmon and steelhead. Gear and fly. So I've caught more then my share of silvers as well. And since I only river fish, they vary from chrome to dark. Even for a spawner, that body is pretty streamlined for a hen. Some, if not most, still have eggs at this point. That's a small torso for a hen. And I've rarely found a spawner hen with that much of a hook nose.
  15. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    OMJ that kind of a dumb bitchy comment even for you.
  16. Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Kiana, AK
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Guys, I have been fishing the Snoqualmie for years, look at the gums, tail, and spots.....this is an ATLANTIC SALMON! its trying to spawn in the wild. Obviously....how did you guys not catch that?
  17. Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Kiana, AK
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    that was a joke by the way. didn't want to get slaughtered.
  18. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Nate you beat me to the punch!! :clown:

I was going to ask Nathan for his opinion too...:ray1:

Nathan are you out there??
  19. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    Male coho-
    and I second the OMJ grumpy comment- I rarely comment on him- but sometimes I just can't help it :-{
  20. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    I guess I am in the same boat as Jim!

It isn't like there aren't resources available for identifing the primary fish in our rivers and lakes. that too is a part of fishing! In fact it is a responsibility!!!

Though I can appreciate someone asking what is this fish? That is part of the learning process. There has been more than one pic of someone posting a pic of a bright Snoqulmie Silver caught in January thought to be a Steelhead.

Long threads go on and on about rods, lines, reels, waders etc. The gear is just the gear and has very little to do with the fish! If competance is the goal then the gear means little. It is the fish you need to focus on. You need to know your quarry if you really want to become competant!

Dave
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.