Steelhead - Our Fickle Mistress!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Courtesy Flush, Mar 22, 2009.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Don't worry NM they are allot easier IF they are in a river!!!:thumb: Oh and if they aren't on the move, which happened to me the last couple weekends...saw quite a few splashing through but wouldn't touch a thing!!! Don't know what's more frustrating...

Winter steeling used to be allot more fun for me as the river wasn't near as crowded and you could fish allot of the spots with a fly you couldn't get near in salmon season with the gear guys...Now, the river(s) are packed...People have no idea what moving through a hole means and just fence post all day, whether in the middle or near the top of run which screws you...Got tired of having what seemed like one run in a day with guys trying to low hole you etc. etc.

I know down on some of your rivers you don't have the crowds you'll see on some up here but there doesn't seem to be the fish either....
    At least with summer runs they will aggressively hit your fly AND you can dry fly or skate dries for them..which IMHO is the end all of steelheading...

One bud of mine fishes every year way up in the interior...Old school scoundrel that he is...Skates dries as much as possible but will throw a wet to pick my pocket when he can...( I never have the time off to go up with him which kills me no end) In three weeks last year he landed 53 steelhead...(Also one of the best years he's ever had up there)...

Aggressive fish and actual numbers of fish can make your whole outlook change considerably....I guess the hardest part would be to leave that and return to the endless days of nothing we face down here....

But like I said before, it only takes one good tug to rekindle that fire!!!

Maybe these will help you out a little!!! mostly Ralf fish but one little one that took a 14 elk hair while I was killing time on some trouties....

Attached Files:

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Les, although I am far more cynical in my old age and do not carry the passion of the younger steelheaders, I will do a small bit with some of the local organizations up here on the Skagit on habitat. There is some good being done. Some, I don't know if it will be enough. There is some important habitat work being done up on Finney Creek (http://www.skagitfisheries.org/Newsletter/Su04Finney.htm) for one and Illabot Creek is going to be desinated as wild and scenic (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h1593/text) with some luck and hard work by more passionate people. These two Skagit tribs are very important to steelhead and salmon up here. I guess it is a start. I sure do admire those folks that get out and do something where they can even when I think it is a losing effort.

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Kerry S,
    A wise man once told me years and years ago at the beginning of a long avocation of fighting for our fish and wildlife. He said, "We can only do what we can do." The longer I live the more those words ring true. I believe that you have your priorities well in hand.
    Good luck,
    Les

4. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Les, I'll take it you killed a bunch of them then. But I guess that was ok because there were so many back then it was ok! I probably would have done the same, maybe.
    When I was a kid, I went camping with my friends and we killed a bunch of squirrles. Now, I go pretty far, almost off the road to avoid killing a squirrel. I guess that makes me a conservationist. BTW, they were wild Western Gray squirrels.

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Buck,60s
    Thaks for your thoughtful response. It is appreciated. I certainly did kill wild steelhead in the 40s 50s and 60s. All of us did. Back then as I wrote earlier in this thread that we didn't know, or admit, that our steelhead populatoins were in decline. That admitted, we sure as hell know that they are in decline now. So, any of the information that those of us in our 6th and 7th decade of life worked on in the past are being reconciled now.
    This should not be a blame game, Buck. It is a time to come together and save these great fish.
    Good Fishing,
    Les

6. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Les,
    I'm not playing the blame game. All I did was mention I think tribal netting is a huge factor, since they aren't policed, and they kill thousands of wild steelhead by accident. I'm not saying I'm not coming together to save these great fish, but Les, until the law changes to C&R, I don't see why I should waste my energy on it. And on a personal note, till the tribes stop pilfering the waterways, I'm not gonna get involved. I'm gonna not keep a wild steelhead, but outside of that, seems like an uphill battle.
    I agree we should all come together and force the hand of the WDFW and the tribes to better our fisheries.
    Frank.

7. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    :mad::beathead::mad::beathead::mad::beathead:

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Buck Naked comes dressed like his avatar and people will get the point. Everything seems like an uphill battle. We are the greatest citizens in the greatest nation on Earth. (no offense to our friends around the world who add to the great energy here at WFF). Battling uphill, against certain defeat, defying the odds, reversing the irreversible and then thumbing our noses or rubbing the opponents faces in their defeat is what we do. Sometimes we are not so glamorous doing it, but it is what we do.

What we need is way to get all of our diverse opinion pathways that all lead to a common point into alignment somewhat so that we can support the POINT and not our PATH. The paths can vary individually, but the point must remain the constant focus.

9. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Hey Brent, I'm frustrated too.

10. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    It's Brett and I'm frustrated of people taking without giving.

11. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    O excuse me, BRETT. Prick. I don't have to give shit dude. So do you give and then expect other to give. Do you give so you can think you can tell me to give. You little fag. Ha.

I'm not going to waste any energy on this. Like I said, if the WDFW thinks it's ok to kill them and the tribes kill them by the thousands by mistake, then i'm not going to get involved because there is no hope. I'm not going to be an angry member like you who thinks they know everything and gets to yell at other members becuase they are the only people that will listen. I have never even seen a wild steelhead so why would you even think to target me as some that should give a fuck??

Plus I like trout fishing better.

12. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    :beathead: we should come together to force the hand of the wdfw, but you wont put in your personal time or effort? So who should, because they aren't going to change on their own.

13. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    I agree, you want to drive with me down to Olympia, i will. you want to be one of the members here that yells at other members becuase they can, I won't even hear you voice.

14. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    people, what is more important. Having other come together, or yelling at other members. this is tiring topic. If I had ever even seen a wild steelhead even caught I'd maybe have more enthusiasm, but every time I go out to catch a steelhead I blank so it's pretty fucking hard to get behind all this.

15. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    It says BRETT on my tag. I give because I take and if I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem.

Your response reminds me of something a 6 year old would say. Did you really call me a fag? LOL...good one!!

Buck, hopefully you find a way to pull your head out of your ass and realize we're all in this together, but until then enjoy life and HOPEFULLY we can meet up on the river sometime.

Who's yelling at who? You need to re-read your post.

-Brett

16. PT

PT Physhicist

In before the lock!

17. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    I see a common theme here, people that call themselves givers do so so they can say they do, Like you Brett. I'd rather not be like you and if you see me on a river, don't bother with a hello.
    I'm a pretty mellow guy, if I am a part of something, I'm doing it because I want to, not to tell other they are not givers. I don't even know what you give to, you have only made it clear I'm not a giver, you are. Well good for you dude. You took what I said out of context, a small portion of a sentence and then mentioned that you don't like people who don't give (assuming your a real giver). For that i call you a fag, would you prefer a little bitch?
    Would it help if from my computer I pulled out my credit card and joined CCA? Would that make me more of a giver. Maybe then I could act like a dick to those that are less informed, member of this site perhaps. You know, I'm not going to do that, because we have way too much of that going on around here.
    So, like I said a long time ago, I don't know shit about steelhead, but until the WDFW changes the regs to C&R and the tribes stop killing thousands of wild steelhead by mistake, I don't think I'm going to get involved.
    So if your not a dick, fag, or bitch, or not trying to be one, then back it up a little. i'm not trying to start any shit, I was just voicing my opinion.
    Cheers,
    Frank.

18. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    Good day Buck! Hopefully, you'll get it someday.

I'll still say hello to you!

19. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    I was here...

20. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good move and quick thinking:rofl: