Steelhead post-spawn rehab/spa? Interesting

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Dottiesdad, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

Heard this story on the radio this morning. LINK

I have not heard of this program before. On the surface it sounds like a good program to help the wild runs. But I've been lurking here long enough to know that what sounds good at first hearing, and what is actually good may not be the same thing.

Thoughts?

2. Alchemist

Alchemist Soaking Wet

Media:
    Huge waste of money. Similar to the ridiculous Pelton-Round Butte mixing tower/trucking debacle, but not quite so expensive...yet. The quick tech fixes will not revive an industrialized watershed, no matter how many local jobs they create. We should be focusing the money/effort/political capital on permanently preserving and restoring high-quality watersheds with strong potential for recovery or minimally degraded habitat. Re-introduction along the artificial terms established in the upper Deschutes case, and massaging a natural selection process to get a feel good result does nothing for the long-term viability of the species on a regional scale.

Derek Young likes this.
  3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
  4. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:
    Interesting program...if I understand correctly the steelhead (largely female) never return back to the ocean...they just keep them holed up and feed them until they let them go again 8 months later to spawn naturally. While I generally oppose messing around with wild fish, if these reconditioned kelts are truly spawning successfully in the wild it seems like a worthwhile program. They would still be passing on high quality genetic traits, albeit with a little help from human friends. I'll take those "wild" offspring from a reconditioned kelt over hatchery planted smolts any day.

5. fastpitchpete

fastpitchpete Member

Media:
    Here is a link to some information on this process: http://www.critfc.org/fish-and-wate...tion-successes/steelhead-kelt-reconditioning/

6. Rick LaRiviere

Rick LaRiviere Active Member

I have to assume that, if these fish were prevented from returning to the salt, then they would be prevented from feeding naturally after the rigors of spawning. I have to wonder what sustaining them indefinitely with processed feed would do to them.? We humans don't fair very well when all we eat is processed foods. I say, let nature takes its course, while we address the problems for their course (back to sea)... dam removal/improvement. And while we're at it, new regulations and increased enforcement for commercial and tribal fisheries. Just my $.02.

Rick

7. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Rick, the article clearly states that the Tribe is feeding the fish while they are in captivity. Sound familiar? I'm with you - there needs to be a habitat solution first, elimination of the hatcheries, and better harvest management.

8. Rick LaRiviere

Rick LaRiviere Active Member

After reading other threads regarding this, and having given it more thought, I thought I'd chime in again. First off, many people seem to be under the impression that the fish will only be held for a short time, long enough to be fed the equivalent of energy drinks and then released so they can make their way back to sea. That is NOT the case >>> http://ykfp.org/par12/html/pierce/siframes.html <<< this link is to a page that shows the time line. Those fish will be help in tanks from April to October. That is simply ludicrous!!! Don't they realize that by holding these fish in tanks, they risk contaminating the entire generation of fish should they encounter any type of infection. Hatchery masters will tell you just how difficult it is to maintain water quality.
    And lastly, those fish have been migrating back and forth all along, and they feed on what they their supposed to feed on... naturally. They don't need our "help".
    You guys on the left coast ought to be up in arms over this, and fighting it tooth and nail. If anyone has a line on who could be contacted about this, I sure would like to voice my concerns. Please PM me with contact info if you have it. Thanks. When will people stop meddling with things they don't understand?

Rick

Derek Young likes this.