Steelhead record on fly?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Patagonguy, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Who knows which is and where was caught?

Regards,

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I think Karl Mausser on the Kispiox in 1962 or when the SF Giants were in the World Series at 32 or 33#. Maybe some larger on the 'ox or Skeena since then that were measured by not weighed. There's a photo of a 43" or larger Skeena fish on the internet caught last fall. Don't know what it was estimated to weigh.

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

If memory serves me corretly the world record fly caught fish was taken by Karl Mauser on the Kispiox in the early 1960s; a 33 pounder.

Pretty sure larger fish have been caught but don't know if any were killed and officially weighted. There are some caught and released fish that would likely better the Mauser fish.

Tight lines
    Curt

4. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Someone probably has broken this, but some years back Clay Carter from Ketchum, Idaho hooked and landed a 37 pound Kispiox fish that would have broken the world record, but released it after careful measurements were taken to verify its size. I'd have to go with Mr. Carter's fish as the biggest fly landed steelhead I know of that was carefully photographed and measured. I believe there are pictures of Clay and his beauty in Combs steeheading bible. If want to believe he hooked it in the Potato Patch, but that is relying on a memory that isn't as solid as it once was. Join in fellas, this could be a great thread. Coach:beer2:

5. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

what about Jerry Wintle's legendary 50" steelhead on the Skagit?

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Couldn't find anything of 'fly caught,' but this (supposedly) is the largest on gear. Interesting part was I couldn't find any real indication that IFGA actually has a separate category just for Steelhead. Go figure?

Fred

"David White's dad was mad. The taxidermist to whom he sent his son's big salmon wouldn't stop phoning with questions about his eight year old son's catch. Then, the problem cleared up as the taxidermist noted, "I'm certain this is a big steelhead, not a salmon. It could be a world record."

Rainbow. After many delays, such as flying experts to Alaska's Bell Island to check scales, and all sorts of other problems, David's fish now stands as the IGFA record rainbow. David isn't impressed. As he noted, "I don't remember anything special. It took about 35 to 40 minutes to land the fish. He was still fighting when Dad netted him. He was blind in one eye. So when he swam by the boat he couldn't see the net."

Dr. White, David's father, remembers it a bit differently. He notes, "A lot of people thought we were crazy. We often fished together out of our Avon." On the day in question the whole family was aboard. Dr. White ran the outboard. David and his two brothers perched on the center seat with, as his father says, "the bare minimum of pushing, shoving and elbowing after being cooped up in a chartered Beaver (small bush plane.)" David's mother and sister huddled in the covered bow out of the spray.

As they trolled the Glory Hole off the resort, David got what Dr. White called, "the big hit." The fish ran out of current into slack water and a long slogging struggle began. David couldn't hold the fish, but when he tried to give up, his dad threatened to put David's brothers on the rod to share the glory. David held on. He'd rest one arm and reel with the other. By the time the fish hit Dr. White's net it was dark. So, when Alaskan Fish and Game weighted the huge fish at the dock, it won the salmon derby. Dr. White wanted to steak and eat the fish because it wouldn't fit into their coolers. The lodge owner convinced Dr. White that David would probably never catch a bigger salmon and suggested the fish be boxed and frozen for the taxidermist. So nobody saw the fish in daylight. After an IGFA investigation, the fish was certified as the world record Rainbow at 42 pounds, 2 ounces. Twenty years later, David still isn't impressed."

7. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

david sounds like a moron :)

8. Swandazi

Swandazi Kevin

Media:
  9. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

A kid could get spoiled by fishing in Alaska.

10. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member