Steelhead reel for around $100?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by VancouverFisher, Feb 28, 2005.

1. VancouverFisher

VancouverFisher Lucky if I get out anymore!

Media:
    Looking for a good steelhead reel for around $100. It will be fished with an 8wt set up. Thanks for any suggestions.

Shane

2. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Orvis Battenkil or G Loomis adventure series.

3. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

Media:
    I fish Battenkill reels on all my trout and steelhead rods (including my two spey rods). They are a great mid-priced reel and you know that Orvis will always be around making spare spools and providing parts.

Orvis reengineered the reel during the last year and the 8 weight BBS IV now sells for $149. There are still a few original Battenkill 7/8 reels on the market for $100-130.

Have never had a Battenkill malfunction. The old Battenkill frames were soft and could be dented if dropped although I think you could say as much for any reel.

4. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    Stay away from the Orvis large arbor Battenkils. All plastic inside.

Don

5. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Heck, for $30 including all shipping, I'll send you an old US Made Pflueger Medalist 1496 1/2 which will include a like new half an 8wt DT8F Cortland 444 line and a ton of backing. You can keep it is a primary or a backup. These old Pfluegers are all I've been using for years for all species in fresh and saltwater but I have extras.

Randy

6. flyfis4fun

flyfis4fun New Member

Media:
    I use a Redington RS2 that I like really well. When the above mentioned Loomis came out I was blown away by the quality vs. price ration. Definetly check that one out right away.

7. ffishnfly

ffishnfly Roger AKA The Fish Whisperer

I just today bought an Orvis Battenkil Mid Arbor. Very impressive reel. Little more than $100, but you can buy the III model and with Gelspun backing get an eight weight line and plenty of backing on. Larger models are $125.

Roger

8. Joe M.

Joe M. another addict

Media:
    Quincy, MA but my heart is still in Bellingham
    I have an Orvis Rocky Mountain Large Arbor Reel in the IV size. The reel was about $90 (USD). It has plenty of capacity for an 8wt multi tip line with backing. Also it features a cartridge system, which allows for quick spool changes. The cartridges are cheap ($20) and light making it affordable and efficient to carry more than one line. The size is such that I have one spool loaded with a 6 wt line and another loaded with a 9wt, and I feel comfortable that it can handle any fish I would encounter on the rivers that I fish. The drawbacks are that the reel is cast rather than machined and it probably shouldn't be used in the salt without complete disassembly, washing, and oiling immediately upon returning home.

I have also been trying to justify buying one of the Orvis Pro Guide Mid Arbor Reels. It retails for $125, is machined from bar-stock aluminum, is saltwater proof, and has a phenomenal drag system for the price.

9. Steelheader

Steelheader Only 3 more years until I can think like a fish.

Media:
    I have the Dan Bailey LA-3 reel and it is an awesome reel with a nice drag system for around $100.00. I landed a couple of 20 pound kings with it this season.

10. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

I also have the Dan Bailey LA reel for my 8 wt. I have a Rio multi tip set up for it and have been very happy. It handled some heavy weight Skagit dogs with no problem this past fall. Only caught one little hatchery brat this year so far, but the dogs gave it a good workout and I like it fine. Hundred bucks even. Came with a recommendation from the owner of one of the shops in W. Yellowstone. He has a lot to choose from and recommend.

11. VancouverFisher

VancouverFisher Lucky if I get out anymore!

Media:
    Thanks for all the quick responses. This has got to be one of the best forums that I have ever visited.

About the Loomis Adventure series... Does anyone have any experience on the water with these reels? They seem like and excellent deal. Also, does anyone know which of the components are enclosed or exposed to water?

Thanks,

Shane

12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Okuma...works for me. :thumb:

13. pearguy

pearguy Member

Media:
    I also fish Battenkill for both trout and steelhead -- to me, they are a great deal in performance and durability. I did get an Okuma magnetowhatever for my son this past winter, and have liked its work at the Ford so far. But from my own experience, I don't foresee that I will ever feel a need to replace my Battenkills.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Let me tell you about the Venture Reel. I bought mine when it was called the Adventue Reel. Well the second time out of the box the bearing fell out. Got that replaced. Fishing over in the Yak in the winter time,another part broke because of ice build up. And the last thing that happened was the drag quit working. But it is a good buy as GLoomis stands behing all of their reels no matter how old they are. I sent mine in to be repaired after having it for about 4 years and all it cost was postage. They fixed the drag and replaced the bearing at no cost except postage.

So if I was to buy another reel at around $100.00 I would look to that reel. Can't go bad on their Warranty.

Jim

15. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

The sound of a good reel working on a good fish is intoxicating to me. Its a hard effect to duplicate, and a source of "reel" enjoyment. So is catching and landing a nice fish, as are all steelhead. How one can then recommend a reel that had a bearing fall out, another part break and then the drag going bad is something I can't understand. The limited number of days we can fish and the delight we have landing a nice one are eliminated if we have a reel that breaks and ends our day of fishing. I would look for a strong reel that has a good reputation for reliability as well as a good warranty. I'd go with the Orvis Battenkill or Mid Arbor.

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well it was only $100.00. What do you expect for that price. Two Okuma's?

Jim

17. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    I have 3 chum salmon seasons on my okuma integrity large arbor with no failures. I've been way into my backing on dozens of occasions and never had a failure. A quick rinse after the salt (If I remember) and I'm good to go. I think I paid $45 at Sportco. I have heard that some people get some slippage due to excess grease on the drag surface right out of the box. I just wiped the excess off when I got it and it's been great. :thumb:

18. Big R

Big R El pescador desesperado

I have had no bad experiences with my Redington GD. I believe they are discontinued, but if you cant find them in your local shop they are on closeour at Cabelas. you can get the reel and an extra spool for around $100. I have used mine for Coho with no problem, but havent caught a steelhead yet. Does anyone else have any experince with there reels?