steelhead report

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by SpeyrodMike, Feb 20, 2006.

1. SpeyrodMike

SpeyrodMike Member

Media:
    Another boring day at the river....... I spent the day fishing around Flaming Gyser on the Green River with not even a nibble. I didn't actually see any fish caught but i heard that most people were doing pretty good. I guess the bait of choice was silver spoons or sand shrimp. I was so determined to catch my first steelhead that last night i came up with one of the most creative flies ever. I tied a normal white bunny leach with a little silver flash down the side, but i also attached a silver spinner at the head of the fly. The fly actually had really good movement in the water but the fish still didn't seem to care. I guess maybe i should fish with a guide so i came figure out exactly what i'm doing wrong.

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    I heard about those kind of flies this weekend... I think it's called a pistol pete.... Don't let the purists know about it, or you'll ended up in a smoking flame fest! :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Mike, The Green is a very tough river in the winter. I have never down well swinging on this river except for sight fishing in the late summer in the upper river tailouts. You may want to look into nymphing the pocket water early in the day up around the steelhead ponds at Palmer.Keep us posted and good luck !!
    P.S. Yes the fly is known as the Pistol Pete. It is a standby on the Madison in the Fall. It should also be considered to be outlawed on the Beaverhead in the Fall lets just say it works !!!

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    You shall burn in hell and never catch another fish!!! How dare you!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: The fishing was pretty slow on the Sky too.

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    alot of guys up here are using those propellers in front of a bead on their streamers and buggers. Hell ya it works, so does power bait. Even after catching 50 fish a day on these... you still have to look in the mirror when you get home:rofl:

6. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    It sucked on the Skagit too.

7. SpeyrodMike

SpeyrodMike Member

Media:
    Where is Palmer? Is it up farther then Flaming Gyser?

8. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    The Queets did too, at least for me it did.

9. Kevin J. Burnham

Media:
    Hmm your not implying that some guy using a propeller blade in front of a Bugger is somehow worse than a guy using a beadhead or a hot glue egg are you ? I do not have any pistol petes if I did. I was just asking.

10. Kevin J. Burnham

Media:
    Yes it is up at the Palmer Kanasket state park. On the other side of the Gorge.

11. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    I would certainly say there is a big difference between a bead or cone head and a spinning shimmering subsurface waking propeller. Why, you don't? Oh ya, it also attracts fish with the bead and subsurface propelling sound. But hey dude, I don't give a rip what other people do and don't make a moral judgement based on their tactics- I'll fish with anyone, maybe just have different tactics.

12. SpeyrodMike

SpeyrodMike Member

Media:
    i don't really fish like this. It was just a desperation call is what it was.(LOL)