Steelhead Report

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by troutpocket, Mar 24, 2003.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I caught one! First fish to hand in my last 10 trips and it was a beautiful chrome 12lb wild buck. It came from one of the north sound rivers that starts with and "S". Caught it just as the sky changed to solid overcast from earlier bright sun. Water was a nice deep green, visibilty around 4ft.

It was a cast just like all the others, except this time the fish grabbed my fly on the hang down.

Yeah!

Rod:beer1

2. fly15

fly15 New Member

SWEEEEEEET. Congrats on your steelhead. Did you get any pictures? If so please share them with us.:thumb

fly15

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    That’s great! I have been fishing my ass off the last week and haven’t caught anything. I fished last Thursday on the Sauk where the Suiattle comes in for a couple hours. Went to work and then got on the ferry at 10:30 pm. Hit the Bear Creek campground by 1:30 am, Friday. Slept for a couple hours, made some coffee and went exploring. It had rained that night and all that Friday. I started on the Quillayute, but it was already blown. Found a couple new spots on the Sol Duc and fished them for awhile. The river was on the rise with a little over a foot of visibility. Bogie was blown, Calawah wasn’t that much better. By the time I got to Shuwah, I couldn’t see my feet in the water and went home. I worked a double and a single shift Sat. and Sun for a total of 24 hours. Caught the 10:30 pm ferry again Sunday night with another arrival time at Bear Creek by 1:30am. This morning the weather was a lot drier but the ground was frosted. It warmed up quick as the sun was out. But the Sol Duc wasn’t in any better shape. Less than a foot of visibility, higher and moving fast. Only fished for an hour at Tassel Creek boat launch then drove to Rialto beach looking for future access. Hauled ass to Point no Point and switched to saltwater. There were a lot of boats within rock throwing distance of the beach and no other fisherman on shore. 2 hours of nothing. I take it that blackmouth are a little tough from the beach. 750 miles of fishing or exploring and that doesn’t include driving to work, dental, doctor or vet visits and runs to the fly shop. I have another opportunity to fish picnic point tomorrow, but was thinking of taking a break. Oh the hell with it. I’m going fishing.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

4. speyneznbhm

speyneznbhm New Member

dude the only north sound rivers open both start with a s I was up there to check your pm for the details great news on the fish you desrve it after 10 trips thats at least a 1000 casts
    john

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I didn't think that there was any fish left in those rivers that start with an "S". The last two times that I went out I went there and got beat up. I think that I'm done with trying to catch the fish that won't bite.Of all the fish that have been caught out of the S rivers this year I have only seen one of them. And it was a small dolly.

Jim

6. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thats cause your sleeping instead of fishing while on the river :p :p

Congrats on the fish....only 10 times out, thats good a good ratio ;-)....better than 2 years to one fish :+ . I just got word that the fish are concentrated in a small area over here on my favorite river AND the water is dropping quick AND the fish are hittin hard.....so im going fishing this weekend and hope to post some good reports. Anyone up for an eastside adventure this weekend??

~Patrick ><>

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Old man,

There are no fish left now. Troutpocket caught the last one.:professor

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Well now that the last fish has been caught,I can spend all my time pouring over maps and searching for new places to fish.I found one place just like what I've been looking for,it is a small mountain lake off of the Suiattle River out in the boonies. Found it by just driving around the hills.

Jim

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Oldman,

Good luck searching for your lakes. I found one the other day up above the Sauk when the river was blown. I headed up a few of the old logging roads. I think I might have me another little gem of a lake to go to if I can find it again. I got myself kinda turned around a bit up there. Didn't bring any maps. Oh well, old fishermen don't die. They wander up endless un-named roads in search of fishable water for eternity.........................................................

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

I don't think that I'm giving out any secret names,but have you ever fished the Prairie Mountain Lakes. These are up in the hills above the Sauk. I heard that they have EB and RB in them.

Jim

11. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I'm sorry to blow the cover on this one, but the river that begins with "S" is the Squatdidly or as the locals call it the "Didlysquat" So this fine fish was taken from a river not known for its productivity, and therefore, the accomplishment is all the more noteworthy.:+

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Rod, in case I did not yell it loud enough...
    Way to go! I think we all really enjoy your enthusiasm.:thumb

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry if I veered this thread away from your beautiful catch.

Way to go. I wish I could of got the last steelhead in the river. Congrats.:thumb Now we can all turn out attention to lake fishing.}(

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Kerrys. I should of done the same and I will now. Thank you for catching the last fish out of the S river, congrats,Troupocket,on your fish. Now I can go back to searching for what ever.

Sorry about also veering off the subject,but when you talk fishing it's hard to just stay on the subject at hand. Once I start out I just seem to just go off.

Jim :beathead