Steelhead reports

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sinktip, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Stellablue

Stellablue Salvenius Secretariat

Media:
    Home Page:
    ""But I watched four gear guys catch six wild steelhead in about an hour, using pencil leads and corkies.They stood over a hole like herons.And they killed every one of them. All the fish were over 27", and one was over 37".They were all chrome bright, on their spawning run, and beautiful. Now they are dead.That's part of why we are having some difficulty catching wild steelhead.""

That's Awful :bawling

2. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

I may as well throw in my 2 cents as well - what the heck.

I dont know where some of you fish, but I have been out every weekend and so far, I have seen ONE flyfishermen in a Driftboat, and 2 other wading fishermen - both, fishing with me, on 2 different occasions. That has all taken place on the Peninsula. I NEVER see anyone flyfishing out there. I have blundered onto some fine spots as well.

I watched 12 steelhead get caught in a day out of a Run that I was fishing - Let me say that again 12 (TWELVE). They all fell to gear guys and I can only recall 2 being put back. Those are only fish LANDED as well. To me, who is after his first steelhead - watching this was absolutely maddening. Its super frustrating to me as I really want to catch one. I didnt know the first thing about steelhead fishing. I have learned alot, fished alot, me some cool people, and explored some great waters, all from the generosity of the folks on this site that share the info. THANKS FOLKS. I will sure as heck post a picture and gloat a little when i get my first one. To me, that will be a great accomplishment. to a seasoned verteran of fly fishing for steelhead, people that post specifics may cause some tempers to flare etc. Well......WE ALL ARENT SEASONED VERTERANS!! Some of us are just recruits trying to learn SOMETHING so that someday, maybe we can have the same success. Its not about short cuts or being lazy, or tarnishing the elite polish of flyfishing - its about getting out, fishing, and maybe catching something that we all obviously have a great respect for. I say thanks to all that have mentored me to simply Fish the right dag-gone water!!! I have learned alot from this website - its a great tool and there are some great people on here.

We cant forget that its about FUN and a hobby that we all love - I think the focus should be on ENJOYING IT while we still have it. My personal opinion is that my grandkids probably wont get to fish for a steelhead - I think they read about them in history books. Lets just enjoy it and have fun. I'll post a report on the Peninsula when i get back after 4 days of hard fishing this weekend. Tight Lines

3. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Little Stone,

I hope you used a cell phone to report what you saw. The retention of wild fish is limited to one a day and five a year. By my math, you witnessed two illegally retained fish. I agree that poaching is an issue but WDFW needs are assistance to catch those that flaunt the law.

Sinktip

4. headstrong1

headstrong1 youngish old guy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sinktip- Get out there

You can't expect reports to yeild that much information- Where an angler fishes is often the result of years of research and trial and error. I would be extremely suspicious of any report giving all the info you're asking for, either they are lying or completely stupid. Nobody wants to see their favorite hole become overrun with anglers. Reports are good for one thing- they serve as a rough guide- not a manual. You have to put in some dues.

5. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Sinktip- Get out there

Headstrong,

You are probably right. Forgive me for trying to cut corners. I think I will get out there and explore a bit. Somebody just sent me a size 18 elk hair caddis that they swear the steelhead go ga-ga for. I will let everyone know how I do.

:+

Sinktip

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sinktip- Get out there

Sinktip,

Can you send me the recipe for that elk hair caddis? I have been using an Intruder tied on 1/0 hook with out much luck. Maybe downsizing will help:dunno

7. speyneznbhm

speyneznbhm New Member

be the driver ask someone you know who you beleive to have something to teach you to go fishing and that you'll drive wherever he wants to take you as long as you can tag along.This computer ain't as good a place to learn as much as a day on ther river,lake or whatever. when I was new I usta look for cars that worked sometimes other times not.there usta be this stream on the op where you could always find a fish at first light in this one hole kinda like magic,my uncle called it a hatchery and not really sportn. the state built a new bridge there and changed the flow of the river and it hasn't held a fish since my point is this he showed me his magic hole then it was gone now I look for a magic hole of my own and so do you just keep going and you will find it.

8. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Sinktip- Get out there

Location, fly, timing:
    "As winter releases it's grip on the Pacific Northwest, the majority of hatchery winter steelhead runs have subsided and the native steelhead begin to make their presence known in the classic rivers of the region.... In the park, the river ran beautifully clear and bright and purged the downstream madhouse from our minds. Two forks of the upper Hoh come together at a spot where I've made some memorable visits over the years. Brian showed me this spot a few years back, which I appreciate because I had always overlooked it while making my way into the park. The last time I was there, a 10 pound class chrome bright summer fish took a "dark purple magic" pattern and kicked my butt inside out before chewing through my tippet.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/articles/steelyfever/

That's one of my secret spots! Oh.. it hurts... soooo bad! Damn you to heck for that!

Agree with Little Stone that achieving wild relaease statewide is something we can effect. And a good place to focus our energies. Until we get it done, its all just a bunch of chatter. Lets make it happen.
    Can't really do much about what people choose to write on the internet, as the above quote illustrates. That said, I give up on this one. See y'all on the river, just follow the floating beer cans and look for the 20 drunks with the Coors Light girls. I bet I catch more than you! (numbers y'know)

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Sinktip- Get out there

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Catch what??????:dunno :smokin

Jim

10. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Sinktip- Get out there

Catch the chicks, babes, birds, Coors Light girls. Hot chicks dig steelhead freaks. Why do you flyfish? :dunno :+

11. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Methinks you all make too much of this steelhead thing. I catch and release (unless it is hatchery and then I will usually but not always bonk it)at least one a year with my best being 14 and I don't even fish for them except occasionally. Usually, they are byproducts of my dollie (woollybuggers, rabbit strip leeches) or whitefish (truthfully, which is why I have landed them on Tiemco TMC 2457 size 10 beadheads)fishing. Sometimes I will find a hole and see them rise and then I will target them. Most of the time I am just pleasantly surprized. My numbers have decreased somewhat the last few years but I think that it is more a factor of the slower water I choose to fish then it is actual numbers of fish. The one thing I do do however is fish a lot of days (some years more than 100 and never fewer than 70) and during the mid-week so crowds usually aren't a problem. I use to be more silent on locations but I have found the rivers I fish change so much from year to year that good holes come and go. I agree with others who say that getting fisherman converted to a primary mode of C&R is much more important than hoarding secrets. If the bait slinging catch-n-keepers are taking the fish before they get to you then there is not much point in keeping your hole secret because there won't be any fish there anyway.
    I don't get riled reading the debates though as long as we are respectful of one another and are just exercising our rights to express opinions and it is nice to occasionally pick up a new tidbit of info here and there. Let's keep it fun.

Randy

12. Luv2Spey

Luv2Spey Member

>1) Where excatly the fish was caught
    >and how to get access to this spot.
    >2) What fly the fish hit. Size,
    >pattern and tying instructions welcome.
    >3)Brand and length of leader.
    >4)Exact time of day.
    >5)A rough description of where the fish took
    >with specific rocks or other items included
    >for reference.

Whenever I am fortunate enough to catch a steelhead and the opportunity to gloat presents itself, I post water temp, water flow, visibility, Time-of-day, fly details, leader specs, knot used to attach fly to leader, wind direction (and type of cast), weather (rain), sky (clear, cloudy), how the fish took the fly, sex, size, and color of the fish.

While I don't post the info, I also log the GPS location of where the fish took the fly.

If the fish was caught at a well-known location, I'll post the details of that as well. I've yet to catch a steelhead in a "secret" spot so I've never had to deal with the problem of withholding information.

Finally, I only gloat (and post) when I have a picture. However, I also log the same info for all fish that are LLR'd (notwithstanding sex, size, and color of the fish).

Logging this info has proven invaluable to me. I can browse my log and instantly recall/relive virtually all details of the catch (and subsequent release).

Cheers,

Michael

13. BrianL

BrianL New Member

:beathead

Hey 'Tip,

Love your comments - you're definitely the PNW Speycasting incarnation of Nick Lyons!!

Hey, next time maybe you guys can post some GPS coordinates so I know I'm standing on the right rock???:+

TIC,

Brian

14. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

"Much ado about nothing."
    Bill S.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Ok BOBLAWLESS,what is your real name. You don't have to give it but the minds want to know. You signed off on your last message as Bill S. To my knowledge this is the first time you have done this.

Jim

16. crockett

crockett New Member

Media:
    >"Much ado about nothing."
    >Bill S.

aka William Shakespeare

-Crock

17. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

There you have it! BOBLAWLESS is the Bard reincarnate!:D