Steelhead Roe

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by willieboat, Aug 29, 2004.

1. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    Today during a trip from the Cowlitz River's Trout Hatchery to the Mission Bar boat launch, I found two dead steelhead. I noticed them because as I waded, they were very bright fish. An inspection showed that they had been cut open. As they were clearly hens, I can only assume that they had been caught, and killed only for their eggs. Both fish were in the 6# range.
    This float is a few miles long, so I can only imagine how many guys are doing this.
    When you think you've seen it all...................................................
    beathead:

Don

2. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Could be the hatchery is distributing spawned carcass back into the ecosystem...

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wow

Respectfully speaking, but 6# fish aren't worth getting the eggs out of. You could only get maybe 2 baits out of each. I would suspect that it's someone who had "illegal" or "over the limit" fish and dumped them off and was probably going to pick them up later. Especially if they were side by side. But being an "egg" fisherman as well, can tell you it isn't even worth the trouble unless you plan to keep the fish. Chances are also that if someone was harvesting them like that, they'd dump them off as they got them. Chances are if they were to hook one that way, they'd move on so as not to be "seen" with fish at their feet. Can always explain eggs as being the "bait" they're using at the time.

Actually, did you check the fins. Where there any cut off? Not sure if they do it in the Cowlitz, but know in the Nooch and other coastal rivers they take the fish that entered the hatchery and place them in the river after they've been stripped of their eggs. Which, they slice the hens open to get their eggs. So could've been just planted fish. Does suck if someone is wasting fish like that though. But have a feeling it was the WDFW.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL Nailknot

You beat me to it. Had a longwinded post, so you got me by a couple minutes. LOL.

5. Brian Simonseth

Brian Simonseth Banned or Parked

What I've seen on the Skagit they cut all of the tail off or the head.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah

Usually what I've seen too Brian. But have seen them plant, then go back and cut (not sure why they didn't do the first time). Used the "cuts" as being counted, from what I was told. So maybe they had just planted them? Beats me. LOL

7. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    Good points. I've seen the way that the WDFL mark the fish that they are putting back into the river. All fins except the adipose were intact. These two fish were about 50 feet apart.

Don

8. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    Egg-strippers aside, how did you do fishing?

I floated the East Fork of the Lewis from Lewisville to Day Break on Saturday - the water was just barely high enough to get a drift boat down. We didn't see a fish but the only other boat that we saw said in had been better earlier in the week.

9. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    Glad you asked. I should have hooked up between the BC boat ramp and BC. Fish were everywhere. There were three fly guys and two gear folks in that run. I fished both sides with dry and tips. Nada. I got a couple of nice SRC's, both below the BC meat hole. There had to have been 120 guys in the BC run. Wearing a football helmet would have made me feel better when I floated past them.
    I think that as other river open on Wed, it should relieve the pressure there some. :hmmm:

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Remember the line "If you build it, they will come" From Field of Dreams? It should read for Blue Creek "If there is fish, then EVERYONE will be there". LOL. I know as long as one person is catching fish down there, EVERYONE will try too. I know we had our yearly Cowtilla event there. Was 104 degrees in the shade down there that weekend. Figured it would drive people away. Heck no. There were about 70-80 guys working BC, and another 30 of them across on Anderson Bar fishing. Why I only fish that place for the Cowtilla ONLY. I mostly go for the people and food. LOL.