Steelhead / Salmon Setup

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Joshw, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:
    Looking at purchasing a steelhead / salmon setup and have after reading some recent reviews on this board and others I am thinking about getting the following (trying to stay in the $200- $300 range):

- 8 weight 9 foot TFO signature series rod
    - Echo reel I believe that it is the 69
    - RIO's Versitip line??? :confused:

Any other recommendations on flylines...would kind of like to get a flyline that would keep me covered for all situations.

Thanks for the help. Josh :beer2:

2. HeavyWader

HeavyWader New Member

I don't want to start an ugly thread here, but I really like the system that Dennis, and Mike dickson sell over at flyfishsteelhead.com.

3. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey Josh,

You will probably get several other suggestions, and they'll all be good, but it sounds to me like you already have it pretty much dialed in.

LB

4. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Josh, nothing wrong with that setup although I haven't fished that reel.

HeavyWader, Not sure why a point in that direction would stir up an ugly thread. The Yancy line works well. Mike was kind enough to demo me the line and I've been using it quite a bit over the last couple years. :thumb:

Chris

5. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    The thing I want from that DD setup is the rod itself...

6. Ken Hunter

Ken Hunter Member

Josh,

You might want to keep it as simple as possible and buy a good sink tip. Fish that untill you catch some fish. After that you will have a better idea what will work for you.

Ken :beer2: :beer2:

7. GreenButt

GreenButt New Member

Rio versitips are great lines. Rio makes great line and its hard to beat the ability to just switch tips so easily. You'll have fun with that setup, and you'll learn what sorta line works best for the conditions you're presented with, though it may seem complex at first. Even if you just use the floater and one of the sinkers at first, someday you'll be glad to have the other options.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, you don't need a big fancy system when you first start out. In fact, you don't need to go expensive at all. Since you're talking salmon and steelhead, you're mostly going to want to worry about a sinktip mostly anyways. I wouldn't even worry about the dryline. Even the multitip salmon system I think it is (can't remember the company that makes it) where it's ALL sinktips of different sink rates. But you more need to worry about WORKING the rod/line. As long as the rod and line work together (I'd rather buy an expensive line and a mid level rod then an expensive rod and mid level line) you'll be fine. I know when I moved up from glass rods, I bought a G1000 Lamiglas rod. By FAR not a top notch rod. But all I was using were sinktips. Rod would cast them great (since the heavy sinktips loaded the 9wt rod great) and fished quite well for me since I was the one working the line, not the rod at that point. You don't need to go to fancy. Just make sure it's FUNCTIONAL! I caught alot of fish with that G1000 setup (had a cheap pflueger exposed rim reel on it). But "I" worked the line and caught fish with it. Plus, the rod was able to cast the line I was using perfectly.

9. HeavyWader

HeavyWader New Member

No I like it as well, and enjoy fishing with the guys as much as I can afford, but I have been snooping on this site for some time now and have seen some of the ugly threads created by this topic. Although you have cleaned the problem out as much as I can tell.Thank's for a great page

Jeff