Steelhead season is upon us....what are some of your favorite flies?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Alexander, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Just wondering what to fill my fly box with! I've got streamers et all just wondering what your favorite ways to fish for them is and what you use?

So far I'm 2 for 2 on hook ups just no steel to hand. I was way undergunned!

I bust out a nymph rig (double nymph) and swing on the end. Usually it involves an egg pattern and a soft hackle of sorts.

Out of my only two hook ups ever, one was hooked on an egg and one took a baitfish imitation streamer pattern (rather large, 4 inches long) white body, grey back and red underneath (gills) no name just tied it up myself. First one fish broke off, 2nd one fish broke rod and bent hook. :(

This season I will have proper rod and leader.

What's your favorite way to fish and what are your fav flies?

2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Skagit minnows, muddlers, intruders, traditional Spey flies, moal leeches, and pretty much anything else I think might work.

And then when I want to catch fish.....here it comes.....the bead. Sorry guys...

3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

intruders, intruders, and more intruders

4. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I love my black and blue bunnies, sometimes with as an egg sh*tting leech.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Egg f*cking leech > Egg sh*tting leech

6. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Matthew nice choice! Black and Blue whatever fly! not that the fish care but I like it a lot, especially with a touch of crystal flash...just a touch like 4 strands. I like intruders too, just labor and material intensive to tye.

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

ESL...... EGG SUCKING LEECH! Pinkish eggs with purple/black/olive leeches....both unweighted and weighted.

8. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Orange egghead, wooly bugger body. 7999 cut with a Gami stinger.

Go Sox,
    cds

9. oldskool

oldskool Guest

Skunk , egg sucker and articulated leech.

I just want someone to explain to me how you go 2 for 2 on hookups with no fish to hand..... Does that mean you only cast twice and both times you hooked up? :clown:

10. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    It means I went out twice for steelhead and each time I hooked one, but both got away. ;) As opposed so going out for steelhead and going home w/o even a tug. :)

11. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    By my estimation the steelhead season (at least for summer-runs) is already about 80% over. I am mentioning this because you seem new to steelheading. Sorry to hear about the broken rod. I wouldn't use anything lighter than a single hander 6 weight if you are fishing for steelhead.

Check out some of those OP rivers in June and July for steelhead. No need to wait for October to get going.

12. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I tie a simplified ntruder, I can do maybe 4 an hour. The fish can't tell I didnt spend an hour on it

13. Matt Hutch

Matt Hutch Member

I definitely have my reservations as well with the beads, but you just can't argue with results. And with the way steelhead fishing is, sometimes that bead can be the difference between catching fish and catching nothing.

14. leaflittlefox

leaflittlefox Member

Media:
    Big Ol' Black and Purp Koffman Stone suckin an egg

15. wet line

wet line New Member

Marabou: purple/black, blue/black, orange/black, pink/black, pink/purple, red/yellow/orange. These tie up quickly, have a lot of action and relatively inexpensive. It doesn't bother me when I fold a hook point on a rock or have to break one off that got stuck into something on the bottom.

Elaborate flies such as Spey and Dee styles are nice to look at but the time involved and the materials required make for a bitter pill to swallow when one is damaged on a rock or stuck in a piece of wood. Consequentally I tend to not let the fly swing deep and am defeating my efforts. I will use them on summer runs that are more condusive to move up in the water column to take a fly.

Dave

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    In winter, it's all about the string leeches for me. I prefer black, black, and black.

17. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Yeah, I'm a steelhead noob, been reading and asking questions everywhere, trying to learn as much as I can about them. I'm aware of summer / winter runs and was referring with regard to the winter runs.

Question: what's with beads? To imitate eggs? Why not just fish yarn egg patterns? What am I missing about the beads?

18. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    beads = eggs. completely

19. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Really depends on the river geography. On west side temperate rivers like the Sandy, N. Umpqua, etc.. I prefer larger profile flies like purple and blue intruders. On arid rivers like the D, Clearwater, GR, I fish traditional smaller profiles: perils, skunks, practitionars.

20. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Early summer late April to late June, I use smaller versions of winter flies. 3-4inches Marabuo tied on shanks with stingers in Pink, Purple and black with just a little if no flash.

Summer July-Sept the fly size goes down as the water drops and pressured fish get wise. Switch over to traditional flies with natural colors in sizes 4 early down to 8 or 10 fall.

Winter fish December through March I throw big big flies 4inches to 7inches. Marabuo tied on a shank with a stinger, in black purple blue with more flash the lower the vis.

I don't nymph for steelhead much. If i'm going to nymph I just pull out the gear rod and swing spoons or drift worms/jigs.