steelhead season

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by onthereel, Apr 2, 2003.

1. onthereel

onthereel New Member

i thought that the steelhead season, and fishing on most rivers, was finished from mar 15 to like june or something.
    am i mistaken?
    a little clarification please

2. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I was under the same impression as well...so I posted a similar question about the Skagit. It sounds as if many of the western rivers are closed for low "escapement" numbers, however, from a few responses from the forum the Skagit still has a catch and release season from 530 upstream to Bacon Creek (check the updated regs on line). I am going to play it extremely safe and call the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife before I cast a line for sure!

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Sorry, disregard last post! Skagit according to the regs is open from Dalles Bridge to Cascade River - selective gear rules - catch and release only, however, when in question...give call! That is the one thing I have learned moving to this state when it pertains to the regs!

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Depends on the river

Originally, rivers used to be open for fishing year around. Now, only a few still are (Kalama I do believe is one). Most OP rivers shut down April 1 to the 15th. For steelhead that is. Then reopen June 1st. But, depends on what regs say. I know Chehalis system was open until April 1st, then WDFW just reopened until April 15th because of high returns.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Please read one line down in the "regs". That says from Cascade river to Bacon Creek. So the Skagit is open from the Dalles bridge to Bacon Creek from now to April 30. And the Sauk is open from the mouth to the Bridge at Darrington same dates.

Jim