steelhead sex dungeon/circus peanut variations.

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by stilly stalker, Dec 6, 2010.

1. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +436 / 0
    got tired of tying inruders. I have always thought the sex dungeon not only has the best fly name ever, but was a great looking fly to boot, and wanted to tie some up. I dont have the silli legs, and I didnt want to use deer hair, so I subbed rhea and amherst for the legs, and angel hir for the heads.

[IMG]

[IMG]

and a sculpin variation
    [IMG]
  2. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +151 / 0
    Im Diggin those.
    And that last one could very well put the hurt on some brownies
  3. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Sweet! What size of eyes do you use on those!
  4. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    7/32" tungsten eyes.
    I need to gt sme silli legs and add those in too, the more wiggle the better.
    Im going to try out the sculpin at cranberry lake one of these days, and I think it will slay the bull trout too
  5. ColdArkansan Redneck Scientist

Seattle, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Maybe If I had tied one of those on, I would have caught something Saturday!

BTW Thanks for showing me some water!
  6. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Thanks!
  7. Annie Rutherford Washington Native

Haristene Isl. Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Is that bead chain the middle? That must have a lot of movement.
  8. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Not bead chain, 2 tungsten beads covering the maxima joining the rear shank and foreward hook
    R and D time on the Sky today reveals that bull trout LOVE these. Still yet to be tested on steel...
  9. bconrad Member

S Rivers
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Jeezus dude, those take 2 hours apiece? Do you put the amherst and ostrich in a loop or just tie it on there? Is the trailer hook interchangeable?

Sweet ties. I really like the articulation.
  10. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    trailer hook is indeed swappable. Im liking the matzu sickle hooks. They take maybe twenty minutes to tie. You can tie up a bunch of the rear hook/stinger body pieces seperately, then go and attach them and tie the front bodies in a different session if you want.
    I want to experiment with some sculpin wool for heads, but I don't know if I think it will look better than picked out angel hair. I should have stopped at AATF today and got some silli legs
  11. bconrad Member

S Rivers
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Nice dude, if you can whip those out in 20 minutes, you're a machine. It would take me 20 just to build the shank! I'm assuming you're using a dubbing loop to spin the amherst and ostrich?

I've fished those matzuo sickles, they're sweet hooks. Another one you might like is the Gami big river bait. It doesn't come in sizes smaller than 1/0 or 2/0 though (can't remember which), so probably only good for spring and big natives.
  12. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    I have some of those big river bait hooks on my chinook flies. Gotta love gamagatsu! I didnt use a loop for any of that material, saves time.
  13. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Hey now, those are some nice looking flies! I like the articulation in them too. Gives me some ideas....
  14. Todd Robbins Wishin' I was fishin'

Franklin, TN
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was thinking the same thing! That, and smallmouth too! Nice flies, they look great!
  15. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    I want to tweak the pattern some more and make it quicker to tie, and still incorporate the sili legs.
    Thinking it needs its own pattern name now, so from here on out they will be known as "murk dragons"
    If I tie an all brown one with some corn yellow accents I guess that one will be a fudge dragon
  16. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Funny shit. Nice ties. I fished the circus peanut at Rufus Woods a while ago - thought it would be money. Still had to revert to the wolly bugger to hook up. Keep up the good work!
  17. unrooted Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    These are definitely different looking than most any other fly I've seen, I would be stoked if you put a step-by-step on here, but I can see how that would be a pain, but I'm kinda confused on what all you did.
  18. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    I will get a step by step up soon. Im tweaking the pattern a bit. Im almost to where I want it, and as soon as I get there, I will post some pics.
  19. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I through down a variation of this, and these look crazy good- Thanks for the idea Stilly-:thumb:
  20. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Getting the pattern to where I really am stoked on it now, heres a firetiger version of it.
    [IMG]
    hard to keep the whole fly in focus for pics, but you gette idea. The articulated body gives these things so much action!
    I need t get some bass popper hooks to tie the front body on