Steelhead Skater Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Will Atlas, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Will Atlas Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    anyone up for swapping some skaters. I though maybe we could make the due date a couple months out so everyone would have them by the June 1 opener. I know there are some excellent steelheaders on this board (They've been in other swaps with me) and I always love seeing what all you guys are fishing. I think we should aim for 12 tiers, possibly a few more if there is interest. I just love tying skaters...let me know if you're interested. For my part I'll be tying a purple muddler minnow.
  2. Cameron Derbyshire Steelhead, Classic Atlantic salmon flies

Florence, Oregon
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm interested; I just have to find the time to tie up a dozen. I'd tie up a bomber type pattern, elk mane tail and wings with caribou spun & clipped body. All on a #2.
  3. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    I am interested. Due date and not being larger than 12 max will decide.

Regards,
  4. Mark Bové Chasin tail

Spokane
    Ah im in if we keep it to like 6 ish
  5. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    Speykid,

Might be a good idea to complete the overdue swap you have hosted before signing up for new ones;)

Regards,
  6. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I'd be interested. if i can find any foam i;ll tie that little wog with the orange back...
  7. Will Atlas Guest

ok. Speykid, I'd love to have you in this, but I'm hoping it will get a little bigger than 6 so we can see a fair number of sweet skaters. I'm thinking two months from now for a due date, so think of it this way, tie 1.5 flies a week and you're money. D3, hell if you cant find any I'll send you come in the mail!

Will
  8. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    with all the fly shops going in and out of business around here i should have grabbed some when i had the chance. I've got black foam if it comes down to that, but the orange is much more visible and better to watch in tough light conditions.
  9. Will Atlas Guest

so here's what we've got:

D3Smartie: foam back wog
    Cameron Derbyshire: caribou bomber
    bhudda: tube skater
    Speykid:?
    Cacadekiller: #6 purple muddler
    Jergens: Quigley Dragon Gurgler
    theWaker: Nerf Surfer
    scott behn: crystal caddis

Tightlines,

Will
  10. Will Atlas Guest

the king of double posts
  11. Will Atlas Guest

we'll give this thing a couple more weeks and then close it up so folks have a long time to tie.

Will
  12. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    what constitutes a skater?
  13. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    my deffinition would be a fly designed to be fished on the surface. Muddler, bomber, wogs...

i am having trouble finding 2mm orange foam if anyone has some they could send me. My local shop is ordering it but i dont know when it will show. i went to 3 shops the other day and no one had it. Sportmans had 6mm foam... what would you use that for?
  14. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    So basically a large dry fly?
  15. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    they are a large dry fly in a sense. But not like any trout dries. I think the idea is trying to cause a distubance on the surface like a caddis would make.

ok... got the phone call and the foam :)
    Sat down to tie my first one a promtly F'ed it up... oh well. I'll knock out a few more practice flies and get them done. :)
  16. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    I'm in. Can anyone direct me to a book or website with good skater ideas/patterns.
  17. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    type steelhead dry flies into google and take a look. should produce all you need.
    I have skated up a lot of fish with #6 elk hair caddis with an orange body. very simple to tie.
  18. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    I am a huge fan of the elk hair caddis, I'll tie that one up if nobody minds.
  19. Will Atlas Guest

cool sean, good to have you in the swap. One thing to remember is that a big steelhead will often destroy a trout hook so you'll want to think about what hook you tie those caddis on. I'll put you on the list. D3, I've got some foam I'd be happy to send you, just PM me your address and I'll get it to you.

Will
  20. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    sean- take a look at a "crystal caddis" on google. or type in skater october caddis and you should come up with ideas. I;d tie your pattern on an up eye light wire hook. I use Daiichi for most of mine. But Gami makes a fine hook too.

c- got the foam. thanks