Steelhead Swap - Reinterpret The Classics

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Thomas Mitchell, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    CRAP! I didn't see this one until it was too late. Looks like a great swap! Have fun and I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.
  2. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +189 / 2
    You & me both. I've done a couple prototypes but I'm not quite ready for mass replication...

Mine will be an updated version of the Irish shrimp fly "Wye Bug" done in the same basic colors as Walter Johnson's famous pattern, the "Deep Purple Spey".

T.
  3. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    From Webster: Classic - serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value

If you think about numbers of anadromous fish taken in the PNW, it's hard to think of another fly with more 'recognized value' than an ESL. Combine that with a GBS color palette and I think you're hit the bullseye for the intent of this swap.

Looking forward to dragging one of those through some buckets!

T.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    Okay, I believe what I've done is bastardized a Lady Caroline's dainty drabness and will be reinterpreting her with things like a long shank, articulated (probably dressed) hook and some non-traditional materials that present a similar drab color scheme. No photos yet, but I'll get the production moving so as not to be the last one done of the group.
  5. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Thomas,
    I didn't see your mailing address mentioned? where can I send the fly's.

LB
  6. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Adams stinger fly.............simply put, I have always wanted to catch a steelhead on an Adams fly..........this is my steelhead version
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I'll fish that!
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    So the articulated with dressed hook tied on a waddington really ended up looking horrible. I then progressed to this number. I hope they'll fish and not disappoint.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  9. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Looks like there are going to be some great fly's in this swap!
    Mailed mine out today, but they will probably look like crap after being smashed in the envelope.

LB
  10. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    I took a classic hair wing pattern( Al'sSpecial), and turned it into a spey style fly. Al was a well known fisher and tier( Knudsons Spider), who used to haunt the stilly and skagit.
  11. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +121 / 0
    My flies will be hitting the mail today .
    I bastardized a trout fly - the Doc Spratley - by turning it into a spey fly . I`ve fished a similar pattern for awhile now , and it does well on systems where the steel turn "trouty" after being in the fresh water for a bit .
  12. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon

I'll be using that come winter..............
  13. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    Ed....that fly will be in the swing of things.................
  14. bjornjon Member

Chattaroy, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I've got a few different mutated macks that I'm working on and will test out this weekend. Whichever one, if any, is the luckiest fly that will be the one I'll send :)
  15. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    9 days left. Remember, I need to get your flies by October 2nd to be included in the swap.

If you sent them in and don't see them noted as "received" on the first post in this thread, let me know ASAP.

Here's mine, a claret & purple version of an Irish Shrimp fly done on an AJ #3 Steelhead Iron

[IMG]
  16. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    I like it!
  17. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    Just finishing mine up tonight. Ill post some pictures and ship them tomorrow!
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Thomas, great colors on that one!
  19. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Thanks Blake -

I'll let you know when they arrive.

20. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    Gonna have to ship them out tomorrow morning because I didn't finish wrapping the crosscut on all of them, but rest assured I will overnight them just in case. And they will get there before Saturday.
    Anyways I couldn't get the colors of the Humboldt rail bird to "marry" very well and they kinda looked like poop.
    So after getting a look at papafsh's gbs/egg sucker, I figured hell, Who doesn't want a couple variations of the same pattern?
    I live and die by the MOAL leech.
    So here is my pattern, its pretty much a greenbutt skunk/ egg sucker combo as well, just presented in a different manner.
    Its my first swap, so dont be harsh, and enjoy!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    these flies have strands of red flash coming off the head, which is nearly invisible to see in these pictures