steelhead techiques

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by paul byers, Jun 2, 2005.

1. I want to start to flyfishing for steelhead. I have dry flyed for trout but I know its pretty hard with steelhead. I currently fish spoons and with lower water levels I want to try fly fishing for them. Want is best techique for fishing drops/pool and tailouts in the river.

2. Well, this can be a long post by me. I'm pretty tired, so going to keep it short. In most moving pools and tailouts, I'll swing a wetfly of some sort. In more of the slacker pools, I'll just skate a dry (they will work). Are you going to try summerrun steelheading, or you getting ready for winterruns and trying to get prepared?

3. Well Paul since you have fly fished for trout with dries take some slightly larger dries and skate them across the tail outs for one. Other then that for summer runs I generally use my 7wt with floating line and I nymph for them. I pretty confident with this technique and it produces for me, well at least I get hits, bumps and LDR's. Now if I can just bring my first steelhead to hand I'll be a happy man.

:thumb:

Edit: Jerry is quicker then me even when he is tired...LOL

:cool:

4. I am fishing for summer steelhead on the Green River. I do pretty well fishing spoons. So I am confident with the swing however I am not cofident I can get into strike zone like I can with a spoon. Any suggestions

5. If you're concerned about getting the fly in the strike zone, you can get it down one of three ways: a weighted fly, a sink tip, or a combination of the two. When I'm swinging flies, I use one of four tips. How do I choose which one? Whatever gets the fly in the strike zone, which is determined by water depth, speed, and strikes. Since summerruns are more likely to come to the fly, many people fish with a floating line, even when swinging. Hope that helps a bit.

6. Paul, I like to give the fish some credit, summer runs will often come a really long way for a fly....really long. Somtimes you have to make them chase it to get a real good bite.
    There are a million tricks to swinging a fly, wet or dry. Here are two for low water. Ghost tip or clear tip, really seems to help. Or, on the dry line run your leader out to 16 or 18 feet, this can mke a huge difference.
    The bigest thing is to find good holding water that is also good fly water.
    Dude, you are in for a good time.
    Jim

7. You'd be suprised the way they hit in the summer time. Nothing like the ones in the winter. I seem to catch them on small flies. Got one on a size 14 Black Humpie while I was fishing for cutts up high on a river system. Was suprised when it hit. My one and only fish I ever kept. It was fin clipped.

Jim

8. I took a winter steelhead class in Feb of this year - 6 hours of top notch instruction - I now realize I should have done this before ever hitting the water and could curse all my wasted hours in the wrong water, wrong depth etc etc. Highly recommended and reasonably priced.

PM me and I will shoot you his contact info.

surf

9. Get "Fly Fishing for Summer Steelhead" by John Shewey and Forrest Maxwell. They do a good job of keeping it simple. Summer steelheading is not sophisticated.