Steelhead Tips

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Johnjav, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Johnjav

Johnjav Member

Hey guys,

I'm going to be heading to some steelhead waters to fly fish this weekend. I will be putting in 3 straight days of fly fishing. This is going to be a solo run for me. I mainly fly fish small to medium streams for browns and rainbows. So going after steelies is fairly new for me.

Do any of you guys have any tips you could share? Really hoping to hook into some nice fish this weekend!

Thanks,

John

2. jason.allen

jason.allen Member

Bring a bigger rod

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Where are you planning on fishing?

4. Johnjav

Johnjav Member

Salmon River, Pulaski NY. I have two 7 wt rods. One I plan on using eggs, nymphs and another for streamers. Really hope to get into some fish in here.

5. Dorylf

Dorylf Oregon Member

7 wt is on the low end of the scale for winter steel at least out here in the West. It works, but I use a 9 wt and am over-matched sometimes. If by eggs, you mean something like a Glo-Bug, those work. Nymphs do too, but that's way too broad a reference to be helpful. They will respond to streamers on the swing, but it helps if water temps are higher. If they are below 40 degrees, odds go way down. Of course, I've never fished a NY river; probably most of us haven't, and fish behavior could be different out there. Ya'll should wander out this way and give fishin' a shot. Ain't nothin' like a wild West Coast steelhead, and right now you can still catch a few before they're all served up at local restaurants.

6. RustE

RustE drifting about

For single-hand rods: 10ft 7wt is a typical Great Lakes indicator setup although some of the NY folks prefer a 9.5ft 8wt

For two-hand rods: 7wt or 8wt in lengths from 10.5ft to 13ft, typically a minimum of 480-grain line

7. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Contact the guys up at Whitakers Sports Store, just outside of Altmar, NY in the Pulaski area: www.whitakers.com They are going to have the local info on flows, fish run timing, ice isssues, dam releases etc. They work with several local guides and always have up to date info. A great old shop with a solid reputation. Also look up Guide Greg Liu at Oswego Outfitters, a long time guide in the area: www.flyfishingnetwork.com/FFN/GregLiu.html he is good about helping people. Things change on the Salmon River daily this time of year. Check out the website fo the Douglaston Salmon Run as well: www.douglastonsalmonrun.com They have daily updates, and great access. It is worth the day fee. I fished and guided there for a few years, over 14 years ago now. It has much improved in quality as so many wild fish are spawning all over that region now. And the Atlantic Salmon have begun to reestablish there too. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

8. Only On A Fly

Only On A Fly Active Member

I fish the S.R alot ( Be there in 2 week's ) 7wt is fine up there. I like @ least a 10 footer & use an indicator & 4 # fluro tippet. Sucker Spawn in cheese, orange, white & cotton candy ( size 10 -12 ) are very good up there. Nymph's PT's, BLACK STONE'S ( must have in size's from 8 - 16 ) prince , wooly bugger's ( I like size 8 ) size 10 - 12 caddis in green & cream.

Good luck.

9. Johnjav

Johnjav Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the tips. I will post pics of any success I have. I will be fishing it for 3 days.

10. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Steelhead? You mean big trout? ;)

Just ribbin ya...Good luck!