Steelhead To Reopen On The Wenatchee, Icicle, Methow Rivers

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Matt Burke, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    AKPM,

Apparently you don't understand a few things. The Methow River is upstream of NINE (9) - count 'em! - mainstem Columbia River dams that on average used to kill 5 to 15% of the downstream migrating smolts at EACH dam. That means that only a small percentage - do the math - of the smolt population had a chance of reaching the ocean. So these steelhead and salmon runs were going extinct. The mainstem PUD dams have made significant passage improvements, but still have a ways to go at 2 or 3 of the dams. And the Corps of Engineers dams (McNary, John Day, Dalles, and Bonneville) still need to step up and improve juvenile fish passage quite a bit.

The upshot is that if no hatchery steelhead were stocked, the runs would no longer exist. Because of all this hatchery stocking that you don't seem to understand, the possibility no exists to recovery naturally spawning populations of wild steelhead and salmon descended from these hatchery plants.

Simple solutions would seem to work best for simpletons, but they don't work out so well in real life complex situations. It would serve you well to understand that before you speak up next time with your simple suggestion for an issue that you don't know anything about. I wouldn't rail on you so hard, but this isn't the first time you've suggested useless solutions to real world problems you apparently didn't bother to learn anything about first. Remember what they tried to teach you in school about putting brain in gear before engaging mouth.

Sg

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I agree. I think much confusion arises due to the disorganization of the rules pamphlet. Some sort of map overlay and an internet tool with searchable parameters based on location,dates, species etc would go a long way towards easing the confusion.

3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:

It is a complex situation, thanks for the concise explanation of some of the problems involved.

4. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Well that makes some sense....
    what broodstock do they use?

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

Brood is collected at Wells Dam, which is, below the Methow, Okanogan, and Silmilkameen rivers. A combination of natural and hatchery origin brood is collected. More recently, a locally-adapted NOR broodstock program is being developed on the Twisp River (Methow trib) and in the Okanogan River.

6. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    BDD, NOR broodstock program?

7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    It's not really related to the discussion of complexity, but possibly as a measure of the non-fishing public's grasp of the subtleties; two years ago, while in the Project Healing Waters booth at the Salmon Festival here in Leavenworth, I had a couple ask me where the Winthrop hatchery was... well, maybe in Winthrop, ya think??

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

Jeff,

Sorry, I sometimes get caught up in all the acronyms that the fishery folks use.

NOR-natural origin returns...as opposed to HOR. I bet you can get that one (hint-the H stands for "hatchery") :)