"Steelhead Trout Club of Washington?"

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by fredaevans, Jan 24, 2007.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Belonged to the group for many years back in the early 1960's to the late 70's (moved to California). Wonderful group of Guys/Gals, many wonderful memories to this day.

Is the 'Club' still active?

Fred

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Fred -
    Yes they still are active -

http://www.steelheadclub.com

Suspect that some of the members you know 35 years ago are still active.

Tight lines
    Curt

3. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

I am thinking of joining a Steelhead oriented group/club so when I saw this link and thought I'd check them out. When I looked at their site it appeared to be more of an angling special interest group rather than a conservation organization or fishing club...

From their website:
    We believe that harvesting a wild steelhead is permissible, if a run is healthy and meeting escapement goals, but encourage people to release a portion of their catch. We do not believe in Catch and Release as a management strategy per se, believing jeopardized wild runs should be shut down and allowed to recover. We also believe that hatchery fish can and do play a significant role in providing meaningful angling opportunities, particularly where habitat has been extremely impacted by dam building and other development.

This appears to be in conflict with a majority of opinion expressed by fly anglers in the area.

CW

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Thanks Curt! Off to their site.

Chris, your comment has me scratching my head. Their 'Mission Statement' reads pretty straight forwardly to me. What 'part' has you 'scratching' your head?

Fred

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Those interested in joining a steelhead club may want to consider the Wild Steelhead Coalition.

Derek Young likes this.
  6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Fred,

The Steelhead Trout Club is very "old school." Its beliefs are highly consistent with the old WDG policy belief that an anadromous fish population couldn't be overfished by a sport fishery. That was actually true at a particular time and place, which came and went almost four decades ago. The basis of the policy belief have been entirely refuted, and most of us who originally worked with the idea feel pretty meek about it in retrospect. A large human angling population, plus the attendant pressures of a large human population on the landscape and aquatic habitat, and exteme increases in access to where fish are, and fishing technology, are a very poor fit for that old school policy.

The policy belief of the STC remains a good fit only by denying much of the accumulated information about steelhead and their management that has been developed over the past 30 years.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

7. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

While the folks at the Steelhead Trout Club of Washington are definitely "old school" my take on them is somewhat different that Salmo's. By large I found the folks there to be dedicated with a sincere interest in steelhead and steelhead fishing. Historically (more than 40 years ago) their membership provide much of the steelhead conservation leadership in the sport fishing communty. They part ways with many here with their belief that the best use of any allowable fishing impacts on a given run should be directed towards harvest. To me that is more of a social postion rather than biological.

I have enjoyed the company of many of its members and have more than one pleasant conversation bantering about various steelhead management issues (clearly we would often be on on the opposite side of the management coin). That said as a group they were more than willing to roll up their collective sleeves and go to work for the steelhead resource. In fact I would have to admit that as a group they were more willing to do so than just about any other group I dealt with.

Tight lines
    Curt

Klickrolf and fredaevans like this.
  8. Todd Ripley

Todd Ripley New Member

My opinion is that they are dedicated and passionate about steelhead runs, but my particular dealings with them have led me to the belief that they are very passionate about bonking wild steelhead, and spend a lot of time blaming the demise of steelhead runs on tribal nets, and those who advocate for the release of wild steelhead.

They won't be seeing any checks in the mail from me.

Fish on...

Todd

9. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

At all of the meetings with WDFW that I attended during my tenure as a board member of the Wild Steelhead Coalition the Steelhead Trout Club was squarely in the whackem-and-stackem camp. They have supported every wild steelhead kill proposal brought up by WDFW. There are a lot of very good fishing clubs that one can join. I belong to Washington Fly Fishing Club, which has a lot of dedicated flyfishers. My wife Carol and I belong to Nortwest Fly Anglers, a family club which also has a lot of steelhead fly fishers. The Wild Steelhead Coalition, to which I also belong is not really a social organization. It might help if it was more socially oriented though.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Jonnson

10. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

I'm a member of STC. I joined mainly through an association made as a member of a class taught on steelhead fishing. I would agree with Smalma's assessment of them. Very traditional. "Old School", if you want to throw that label out. I would also add, "very aware" and "very well informed". You may not agree with their philosophy but you must concede their depth of experience in the fishery. Many have been fishing steelhead longer than many folks on this board have been alive, I for one, and I'm 51. They keep track of hatchery fish releases in most rivers in the Northwest. They are very much into what I would characterize as "pragmatic" advocacy for the fishery. I'm not informed enough of the details of various positions to say that STC is better than the WSC or someone else. My impression is that they have the knowledge and experience to advocate for a sensible policy towards a sustainable steelhead population. When you charge your responses with emotion laden words like "bonking" and expressions like "whack'em and stack'em" you equate those concepts with negativity when they may actually be a positive policy.

I know that my diatribe sounds like a bunch of lawyer BS but, it's the truth. At least truth, as I see it. And I'm right iagree

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

The August issue of "The Reel News" and write ups buy several fishing groups, and to my delight ... The Steelhead Trout Club of Washington! Been a member for close to 60 years? Wow! And my name was mentioned; that made me choke on my morning coffee. In a good way.

I joined when I was 14, I'm now 72, and find no reason I would ever consider not being a member. Yes, back in the day it was 'bonk them,' but that was 20++ years ago so some of you need to grow up. Work parties, God did we work cleaning up choked spawning streams; when we showed up the stream was a total mess, when we left, just spawning gravel.

For you old guys ... remember the summer BBQ at Norm's Resort? Age 16 and they handed over a totally drunk to his Mother. Well ... actually they stacked me between the front door and the screen, banged and ran like hell. Door opened and I fell flat face onto the living room floor.

Mom never said a word.

12. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Fred, you must have been really skinny, even for a 16 year old.;)

triploidjunkie likes this.
  13. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Odd. I hit the link in the now 7+ year old post and I get "The steelhead trout club of Washington". A yoga studio in NYC.

14. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    Jeff,

I just checked it out and I got the Steelhead Trout Club of Washington. Yeah, a bit of an old post resurrected.

15. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Did you open anything?

16. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    I went to a few of the pages in the side menu and they seemed to work fine.

Maybe you've got some yoga hackers messing with you ;)

17. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Shit, maybe my phone is trying to tell me something. Yep, I just opened it from my home computer and it worked just fine. Phone is crazy.

18. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

back in the 60's I used to belong to northwest steelheaders and united flytyers,inc. don't know if either is still going. mike w