Steelhead water

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by SpeyrodMike, Feb 21, 2006.

1. When you steelhead what kind of water do you find to be the most productive for steelhead?

2. I prefer moving water.:thumb:

Entire books have been written on this subject. Read Deke Meyer's book because he explains it alot better than I can.

Good luck.

3. i'm just curious to see what the most perfered water to fish is
    around here

4. Depends on the river and time of year. Fast heads and riffles in summer and fall, slower drifts and frog water in winter.

5. For Skykomish winter fish I concentrate on riffles which are 3-6 feet deep where the water is moving about as fast as you can walk.

6. iagree
    That water is really good. If you are swinging, than this is the water you want to look for.
    Chris

7. I have caught fish in 20', and fish in 6"...whitewater, and slack...eddies, and main flows...boulders and gravel...salt and fresh...logjams and pools...so I guess the answer is

The water with steelhead in it...(a la Napoleon Dynamite) Dang!

Seriously, read up on the life history of Steelhead and pay attention to fishing authors like Vedder, Meyer, Hogan, Combs, Herzog, Shewey, etc., etc.,ad nauseum...

Astute readers will notice that I pointed out a few hardware and bait authors...good guys to pay attention to. Bill Herzog has been known to catch the odd fish, and Dave Vedder stumbles into a few fish every year.

Read a lot of water...Steelhead are fish, and other than a few species-specific quirks, most fish have the same boundaries in rivers.

Oh, yeah...almost forgot.

Go fish. Alot.

IMHO, and YMMV.
    Mark

8. walking speed, and structure. Eg, rocks on the bottom big enough to shelter fish, in run boulders. Think of it this way as, "why would a fish want to hold there" Also maybe go check out some well known runs and see if those can give you an idea of what to look for.

9. It's a combination of water that is easy for the fish to hold in, but also gives them a sense of security. Security can be in the form of structure, broken surface, or depth. The necessary depth will depend on water clarity. Once you hook fish or see fish hooked in certain areas you will be able to identify other likely spots. Reading water takes time to learn.