Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Tom Johnston, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Okay, so you can't catch largemouth or smallmouth bass in the salt water, but you can still target them with a dang fly rod. When the days are hot that could be some good fishin' action, no?

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Why not just fish for bass with gear and fish for trout with flies?

I don't understand the reason why some fly guys feel gear fishing is breaking the code or a cop out.

Don't fear the gear guys, we can all get our gear out every now and than. It is good for you and for the fishing community.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm a converted gear fisherman trying to fly fish only. So far so good this year for me. That is a choice, not a cop out, inferiority or superiority issue. I'm just recommending that if someone has a species of fish they want to target why not use a fly (not true for some deep dwellers, but we were chatting about bass) Bass will eat almost anything and they could care less what type of rod or reel you have. If someone chooses to fly fish for bass, good on them. Gear is cool too, I'm like the fish, I could care less what you are fishing with, but this is a fly fishing forum, right?

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Hey Mumbles I wasn't trying to accuse anybody of anything.

Just saying that IMO, it seems silly to give up all gear for the fly like the fly is a religion.

I have been doing both my entire life and the more I do both the more I realize they are basically the same, but than again I don't use bait, and I tie all my own jogs and enjoy building lures.

I also know that in many cases, flies will outfish anything metal 10:1, and that is the best part.

5. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    I feel its something in life I want to accomplish! Its like a wusa for me. Gear is no challange any more for me. Its just a personal thing. All of my friends are gear guys.

6. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Yeah I could, I just have not targeted lakes or some eastern rivers yet. I am in LOVE with salt water fishing.:D

7. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    I had a good time this weekend using both the fly rod and gear rod drifting for kings. Drifting faux egg patters and ESL's(etc) keeps me focused on the presentation-just the same as fly fishing...On the other hand you'll never catch me plunking, that's about as fun as fishing chironomids :cool:

Agree on the flies outfishing gear. Gear guys seem to use the same stuff (rivers): eggs or sand shrimp, or a select set of spoons/spinners and I think either offering or irritating the fish with something they're not as familiar with can be the ticket.

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    loves them metalhedz- but the addiction is affecting me profoundly.
    funny though, I must be turning into a steelhead snob or something-
    I killed a limit of 14-16" hatchery cutts last weekend (deeeelicioussss) but felt very little satisfaction about the catch, and even the biggest one didn't make my heart beat fast even though it was fun and all-

Steelheading requires a singlemindedness and uncompromising effort that is at times heroic, at times sad. best not to jump in unless you want to be forever changed.
    Bob

9. Tom Johnston

Media:
    Maybe Ill wait till I am a little older and have more free time. I dont want to half ass it if you know what I mean.

10. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

The evolusion of a fisherman is fleeting and or never ending.

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    my first steelhead trip is a week from monday... oh boy... oh boy... I hope the river drops