Steelheading on the Fly.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by guest, Dec 16, 2001.

1. guest

guest Guest

I'm thinking of trying Steelheading by the fly. All I have right now is a 9' Lamiglas 6wt. As Christmas is right around the corner. I can't afford anything different at the moment. Is that big enough. Also would like to know about 6 different flies to try. I don't want to put out too much right now. I have 6wt floating and a 6wt sink tip. I've never tried winter fly fishing, but I've hooked up with summer runs on a 5wt. Jim S.:THUMBSUP

2. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

While an 8 weight would be better a 6 weight will work until you can get another rod. I use my 8 weight and take along my 6 weight as a backup incase something happens to the 8 weight. It will take a little more patience / effort when you get a hook up to bring the fish to hand. Good luck! As far as which flies, stop by a local fly fishing shop and they will be more than happy to help.

Greg

3. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Probably the big deal would be how well your 6 wt would hold up to casting flies that are #2-3/0 in size. My 7 wt does just fine in this range. Also the other big deal would be about weighted flies, but not necessary giant dumbells, cones or beads, but just a bit of lead wrapped on the shank.

Now, how about casting all that into the wind? I understand that most folks prefer a 7-9 weight rod. And yes, while adequate, my 7 wt could use a bit of help with the biggest and heavyest into the wind.

The next deal, is what kind of sinktip do you have? You will probably want a type 3 to 5 to get down well in the bigger faster flows.

As far as flies, I hear that marabous and spey are the way to go. Look for relatively lightly dressed flies to sink well though. I have tied the patterns in "Steelhead Fly Fishing" that are in the marabou section (418-423) and I think they look just like the ticket. My speys are definately not a thing of art but most my buddies will be impressed that I tried.

But that's enough from me, at least before I get a winter run.

Rob :pROFESSOR

Just cast, would you?!

4. slowswing

slowswing New Member

you can definately give it a shot. agreed, in the heavy wind and weight of fly will have an effect.

you should consider a few patterns, the green butt skunk is a standby, some spey patterns in purple, red or orange,
    egg-sucking leech (pink egg my favorite on the peninsula rivers)
    purple freight train, usually for winter fish anything bright.
    getting the fly down to where the fish are is key. A good sink tip is much more efficient than a heavy weight fly.

5. guest

guest Guest

Well,I would give it a go if I could get out. I have a few flies that you mentioned. I won't fish any big water,just the likes of the Stilly, Pilchuck, Sultan. As for the sink tip,I bought it two years ago and I've only tried it in lakes. All I know about it is that it's green with A black sink tip. Made by Courtland. I just usually just use my 5wt with floating line. I've hooked some big fish with my 5wt,but had lots of LDR's. Jim S.:COOK

6. bobkt76

bobkt76 New Member

well i used my 5/6 and it is just to light to use in the winter i found that sport co has 8 9 10 okoma rod for abot 37$ wich for a cheep rod it performs well i have a a new 9 and they all so have drag/ large arbor reals for 40$ i landed maney fish at hoodsport on it and was very happy keep the sunny side up and the krusty side down keeep on trucking

7. guest

guest Guest

I've been reading about those rods and reels.I just might give it ago as they are sooooo cheap.If it don't work out I haven't lost too much. My only problem is that I'm not that close to Sportco. I live in Marysville. Thats quite a jaunt. Jim S. :COOK

8. bobkt76

bobkt76 New Member

they have low prices and well worth the trip i go there all the time i lived in westport and drove to fife to get gear twice a month the saveings payed for there self and also they have good prices on carhart work close . but if u doint buy there membership u have to pay 3% more than the tag price but they still beat most shopes i seen the same 8/9 okoma large arbor real for 75 dolere at gi jos in portlan and was 55 there corkey are .09 most shops are .13-.15 thay have 30 difrent typs of line and all the tyeing suplys u need keep the sunny side up and the krusty side down keeep on trucking

9. rockfish

rockfish Member

hey Bob

where is that store. Ben

10. bobkt76

bobkt76 New Member

are u on line if u are do u still have my #
    keep the sunny side up and the krusty side down keeep on trucking

11. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    The other good spot to hit for inexpensive gear is the Outdoor Emporium, a few blocks north of REI in downtown Seattle.

I haven't been to SportCo, as I live in North Kirkland, and really don't care to spend that much time to go shopping. If I am not mistaken SportCo is in Fife, but I don't know where.

Rob :CLOWN

12. guest

guest Guest

The store in Fife is off the freeway. If I'm not mistaken,they have a store in Redmond. Or they used to. I was there once. In Redmond. Jim S. :BIGSMILE

13. steve

steve New Member

As far as flies go I would start by either buying or tying up a bunch of weighted and un-weighted wooley buggers in diffrent colors. This isn't the most glamorous fly, but it works, and its easy to tie.
    -Steve