Steelheading Queets in Early April

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Fly_Fisher_00, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Fly_Fisher_00

Fly_Fisher_00 New Member

So, I am new to swinging flies of Steelhead on the OP, and was wondering if the Queets is any good in Early April. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I really am not looking for secret spots or trick just some general advice to get some late run steel (or early, depending on how you look at it). Thanks all

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    When it comes to coastal steelheading in April, I'm a kelt expert. There are fresh and unspawned steelhead in early April, but my luck is that I catch more kelts than fresh run. So I like March and earlier better for the fish, but April weather can sure be nice.

Sg

3. Fly_Fisher_00

Fly_Fisher_00 New Member

That is kind of what I figured, but I have some time when the kids and wife are out of town. To me, it is a sucess if i can get out and enjoy some beautiful country and learn a new river, catching fish is a by-product (but it would be nice).

4. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Media:
    Watch your flows but it should have some fish around if its not blown out like it likes to do. Never a bad option, plus the upper road is closed so that should limit a few guys. Ill be there on Monday for 7 days if the weather permits.Probably bounce between that and the Hoh depending on whats going on. Good luck and don't let the rain get to ya or the crowds. when you least expect it your reel will be screaming as chrome bright buck tries to return to the ocean with your fly in its mouth. If you see a lifted decked out red Wrangler give me a shout.

5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Amen man. I'll make my only OP trip a few days before the Queets closes. Its just how it works out. I have fished the Queets only one time before, but I was impressed. I was a child the last time I spent any time in the rain forrest, and I forgot how really lovely it is.

I'm hoping for a good day on the river...but I plan to stick something too :)

6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:

Just as a heads up, a lot of slides have opened up during the last deluge and it's really colored. I went yesterday with flows at 3000 and ended up with a foot or less of visibility. Apparently Sams river was the color of concrete.

David Dalan likes this.
  7. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Yes it was, above sams was clearish, but one guy above me yesterday said the water colored up all of a sudden but it must have dissapated by the time it got to me. I'm assuming that it was a small slide.

8. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    The entire coast is great during the early weeks of April. As long as flows are decent there should be fish.

9. Fly_Fisher_00

Fly_Fisher_00 New Member

Well, I will have to go out there and give her hell. Thanks gents.