Steelheading Success Rate

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steffan Brown, Jan 12, 2012.

?

How often do you hook up with a fish during steelhead pursuits?

At least 9 out of 10 times out... 6 vote(s) 4.9%
60%>89% 21 vote(s) 17.2%
20%>59% 31 vote(s) 25.4%
Less than 20% of the time... 43 vote(s) 35.2%
I'm still looking for my first... 21 vote(s) 17.2%
  1. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I've only been steelheading on the East side for three years and only been skunked once; and that was last week. Probably dumb luck that I hanvnt been skunked more. Now that I am trying swinging my success rate will deffinately drop, but at least I look cool!
  2. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    i hear this all the time here..the old, if your concerned with the number of fish you hook in a day, then your not enjoying your self. i know how not to enjoy myself, its hooking no fish in a day. i know, i know, but it would be hard to judge the disappointment on my face masked by my grin getting into some fish.
  3. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    With success rates as high as I've read the fish must be damn near jumping in your boats!!

With steelheading in my world, there are two games...winter & summer.....there are rivers with fish in them, some without and some when they show up is anyones guess...I haven't found one yet where they stick to any human clock...they were there last week and show up again after you've left...When you decide to head to a new area the old one gets a late run...and of course when you show up at the new one, you should have been there last week..

Rivers are high, low, to hot, to cold...lots of variables...but for all of them..If the fish aren't in, your not going to catch them...When they are, Your method, your time on water, your skill at reading water and the more time on water will help....your fishing skill while over looked by some has been shown to me to be the difference between a fish here and there and fish caught pretty consistantly..

last but not least..are you fishing for wild fish or rivers choked with hatchery fish? Standing in a line up hucking beads or bait over a timetable hatchery brat...Killing all you can or getting kicked off the river is IMHO not a whole lot different then saying your an expert at trout fishing because you slay um on the keep and kill stocked trout ponds....

Guys who's numbers I am interested in are the ones you can plop down on any river with wild fish and they will find the water, swing the fly properly and hook up consistantly, while other so called experts come back and bitch that those rivers are horrible....

I used to think those guys didn't post on the internet much anymore..but after reading this thread I'm amazed at how many world class, best in class fisherman we got on here!!! I am humbled!!!
  4. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    i think the secret to catching more steelhead is three things the advantage of chasing them with gear for many years before switching to fly, fishing only where there is fish, and three, and most importantly, actually trying to catch them.
  5. JS Active Member

Ratings: +47 / 0
    Word. It is really incredible how many people just rail on fish all year round. I guess if you wait until November to fish for summers, your success rate will skyrocket. When you swing for early chrome fish, you often come up blank. That goes for even the most accomplished angler.
  6. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    "when you "swing" for early chrome fish". like i said, actually trying to catch fish, is an important part, of catching fish. swinging may not exactly fit in with that, oops... i didnt say that aloud did i;).
  7. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Couldn't disagree more gearhead...It's a matter of if the fish are in the river, more then your method...Early chrome are aggressive enough to take a swung fly as is any fish really if the fly is presented correctly etc. etc.

The sad fact is, no one wants to accept that it takes time to hone the skill it requires to catch them consistantly...almost as sad as all the "professionals" who stopped trying and are out for the buck instead..
  8. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    Trolling is a method of internet fishing.

Go Sox,
    cds
  9. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,706 / 0
    But if you harl a fly, is that the same as trolling?
  10. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    Much like the answer to "Is pimpin' easy?" Both no and hell ya. are acceptable.

Go Sox,
    cds
  11. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Had my first skunking of the year. Should it really count if the river is blown ? I got soaked despite wearing two raincoats.