Steeliess reserved for experienced?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by spicolli140, Nov 4, 2011.

1. spicolli140 New Member

Everett, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have been told numerous times that steelhead are too difficult to catch and also nymphing should be learned only after a lot of experience but it seems they were wrong. Floating the wenatchee for the first time everlast weekend produced a native buck while nymphing a bead. Honestly though. Since I am so new at the sport, everything is difficult, on top of being told that I should go easier and not waste my time was all the encouragment I needed

2. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +132 / 0
  3. tbuss Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    Never let anyone tell you something is too hard to try. A local fly shop in Seattle years ago told me that I shouldn't bother fishing the Metolius because the fish are too difficult to catch. I fished it and caught a lot of fish. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you are a better flyfisher than people assume you are.

T.
  4. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +383 / 1
    dude who sold me my first setup was telling me how nymphing produces bigger fish but how super hard it was and how it took him 6 months without catching a single fish to do it properly. within 3 days i was slammin fish on the naches nymphin stoneflies before i ever threw a dry.
  5. attack Member

Forks, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    congrats you caught one on a lure. now go get one on a fly
  6. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Congrats on the fish. Did you get any pics?
  7. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Fish anyway you like that's legal and that you find most fun. If I heeded the advice of everyone I've run into in life, I'd be pacing in a small room and talking to myself way more than I do now ;)
  8. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +844 / 1
    Nymphing a bead, you say? What does an adult bead, or a bead pupa, or bead dun look like? How do you tie those? Sorry, you weren't "nymphing" you were using a bead - there's a difference between a "technique" and matching the available insect that the fish are feeding on. Sure, call it the same as using an "attractor" pattern, but you're just fooling yourself.
  9. dflett68 Active Member

snohomish
    Ratings: +189 / 0
    Derek, why do you care? Not arguing, I just don't understand the logic or the passion behind belittling one tactic versus another. I can totally understand a PREFERENCE in this regard, but I don't know why anyone should feel they are a superior angler or steward of the resource for only "matching the available insect that the fish are feeding on".

Just to be clear, I'm really not trying to debate this, I'm really asking for a better understanding of your perspective.
  10. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    It's semantics, really. If you're sitting in the passengers seat of a car, you're not driving it. If you're not flying the plane, you are not a pilot. You are a passenger. If you're using a fly rod and casting a plastic bead, you're using a fly rod to cast a plastic bead. Just say it.

No where in my reply did I say nor infer that one is superior to another, you're injecting your own opinion into my statement. Using a singular bead as a "fly" isn't fly fishing, in my opinion. There.

"..being told that I should go easier and not waste my time was all the encouragment I needed." Oh, and that. For Christ's sake, if you're going to do something worth while, make it worth your while. It's a symptom of the "quickly at all costs" culture that's not advancing our fisheries.

Rant concluded.
  11. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Saying fish do not eat eggs when available is like saying a fat guy would rather have frozen dinner for a 3rd day in a row, instead of german chocolate cake.

and we are talking about steelhead right? everything is an attractor pattern :thumb:
  12. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    I dont disagree with you Derek, I just had to get my chocolate cake bit in there.

I fish a few different ways, nymphing with egg patterns I suppose I can cross of my list of ways to fly fish for steelhead. but im not about to go tell people its gear fishing haha
  13. slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

Spokane Washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Way to go spicolli, don't let anyone rain on your parade. Fish any way you want, you caught steel!
  14. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +465 / 1
    Actually that fish ate a bead I painted with 3 coats of 2 different very specific polishes to best replicate the eggs washing out of the king redd that steelhead was set up behind. 8 ft to the lead, one split shot. Pretty much spot on hatch match 101.
  15. Mark Juranek Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Spic140, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Well done. Way to prove all those trying to provide some advice and encouragment wrong. You didn't need to ask for help afterall.
  16. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Maybe Beauchamp will let you borrow some of his nail polish and paint up some German Chocolate Cake eggs. :)
  17. dflett68 Active Member

snohomish
    Ratings: +189 / 0
    seemed like it was well worth his while in his opinion. and really, if weren't for "quickly at all costs", you'd be out of a job.
  18. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Ok, i think i finally understand. You cant use beads to flyfish. if you want to flyfish it has to be a babine special or a globug.
  19. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0
    Three things are certain in life:

Death, taxes, and the on going debate of defining "fly fishing for steelhead."

P.S. I'm with Blake, German chocolate cake is yummy.
  20. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0
    Not if it's fished with a spey rod.