Steeliess reserved for experienced?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by spicolli140, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Methow

Methow Active Member

I never use beads, I use jigs...LOL

2. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    And you'd be 100% wrong.

3. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

Media:
    i'm not sure what you mean Derek. i guess i'm just assuming you're a guide because that's what your signature says. maybe that's not your only job, or maybe you think people don't hire a guide because they can exchange a pile of cash for years of of experience and know-how and virtually purchase success. what are you selling if not those things, just your boat and companionship? how can you express so much disdain for taking one short-cut (if it's even valid to call an egg pattern a short-cut), while you make your living (at least theoretically) off of turning "the fish of 1,000 casts" into "the fish of a credit card payment"? personally i think both are perfectly legitimate.

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    I think he mostly guides trout.

5. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

just wondering, whats the difference between swinging a blue, red, pink, orange, purple or all the combos mixed together fly, and swinging a spoon, they are both lures frankly, sorry to burst your bubble. both lures are being presented with a rod and a line. if your going to make fun of nymphers, and beaders, then its because your "Flies" are of course a natural bug patterns, you know, the brown, greys and blacks, minus the glitter and green, red and orange heads and butts right? Hypocrite! now if you do use these patterns, and are pure to the bug Gods, then my compliments my friends, but me, fishing is more important than a beautiful cast, i'd like to catch a fish every so often too.

6. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Cleaning this thread up a bit. A few posts will be removed. Buckkiller, we're through with you. Might be through with others as well.

Chris Scoones
    WFF

7. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

8. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    ON the coolometer (in my signature) you got a 3 out of 10, but since you used a bead it drops another point to a 2. = not very cool :)

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    What the hell, let me throw a little gas on this fire. Are soft yarn glow bugs -- you know, the ones that look a lot like beads, considered beads?

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    What Derek said.

Nothing wrong with bead fishing. The incredible, delectable, edible bead has taught me something very important about steelhead. Since 1982 my steelheading philosophy was predicated on the thesis that under average water conditions (meaning not too low, too high and turbid, too warm or too cold), an undisturbed steelhead will hit the first properly presented bait, lure, or fly it sees. I was wrong. My thesis assumed that every steelhead is a player. They aren't. Generally speaking, a swung fly, wet or dry, will draw a strike only from steelhead that are players. Not every undisturbed steelhead is a player. The reason bead fishing is classified as either not fly fishing (it's not a typical fly after all), or at least not traditional fly fishing, is because the bead can and does hook steelhead that are not players. Lots of them. Potentially up to 100% of them. Not only does the bead hook undisturbed non-players, in the right hands it also hooks disturbed non-players.

Fishing beads is consistent with instant gratification because you don't have to find a player to hook a steelhead. Fishing beads is also consistent with a "catch 'em all" ethic and contributes to making steelhead fishing a competitive activity. There are more than a few reasons for not holding bead-caught steelhead in the same esteem as those caught on swung flies.

Sg

11. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    "I love watching nymphers molest fish.... They spot one and bounce their beads/flies/splitshot off their back, sides, and forehead 35 times until the fish hits..... Giddy Up!

"Flossing = snagging = fagsmanship or a zero on coolometer

swinging successfully = 10 on coolometer

nymphing from boat = 3

nymphing from shore = a balmy 5 (get a centerpin, its okay you can still brag about all your flyfishing exploits to your friends)"~~sopflyfisher"

I didn't realize fishing for steelhead had a "coolometer" attached to it. Looks like (according to you) some days I'm cool and some days I'm just average. I thought the idea was to have fun and catch fish. A couple of my good friends are gear fishers, and I fish with a fly rod. Sometimes I swing, sometimes bounce big uglys. We fish together, catch fish and have fun doing so. :beathead::beathead::beathead:

12. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Thank you Sg...well said. +1,000,000,000,000,000 at least.

13. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Well said, well said . . .

Leland.

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Sg[/QUOTE] The reason bead fishing is classified as either not fly fishing (it's not a typical fly after all), or at least not traditional fly fishing, is because the bead can and does hook steelhead that are not players.

And a MOAL is considered typical??

Sg[/QUOTE] Fishing beads is consistent with instant gratification because you don't have to find a player to hook a steelhead. Fishing beads is also consistent with a "catch 'em all" ethic and contributes to making steelhead fishing a competitive activity. There are more than a few reasons for not holding bead-caught steelhead in the same esteem as those caught on swung flies.

Wow, this seems like a stretch to me and more in line with the old and might I add silly debate that any fly presented below the surface is an affront to the sport -- utter poppycock.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Holy crap this thread looks like swiss cheese after it got cleaned up. Steelhead are trout. Big trout. Maybe they will hit what you offer, fly, bead, jig...maybe not. If you are not fishing, you can't catch them. If you are fishing, you might catch them. Use what you wish.

16. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
  17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Brah, you had me rolling on the floor laughing when you called Sg brah. Don't forget the chicas that now are at the fly shops grading out hackle for their hair. Better yet, find a local fly shop next to a hair and nail salon...all the fixins for all the important stuff.

18. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well an adult bead looks like a King Salmon and and pupa of a bead looks like a fry/alvin if you will,,,a bead dun thats a dead salmon stinking up the beach, just as pure of an imitation of fish food as any mayfly, caddis fly or stone ...wtf a 6 inch rabbit leach is really imitating anything how could it get any dirtier than that,,,just saying its ALL the same delivery the joke is just in your head. Glad he is now enjoying catching a steelhead.

19. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

well i learn something new everyday. this term player, i just heard for the first time on the ronde last week. so how exactly do we ignore all the fish that are not players and target the players, do we intentionaly use less effective methods to attract a strike from a "Player" and what is a player, is it a fish less smart, more smart, desparate and starving. i just dont get it. and yes to the purists, i probably never will. When i drive 300 miles, i only do it with the expectation that i am going to catch fish, not one, not two, but more, sometimes lots more. i have never bead fished. while i am far from being new to flyfishing, i am new to doing it for steelhead. bottom line is, i am going to present the fish with my A game with one thing in mind, to catch them.
    another thing i just heard on a youtube video, this guy stated that he wouldnt be caught dead using a sink tip until atleast january, like it was some kinda sin or something, i mean WTF! some of you guys drive me crazy.
    catching steelhead is easy if they are there whether you swing, nymph or cast a bobber and jig with gear, all you have to do is find a way to put it in there face. Flies are lures, especially when you stack them up on one leader, heck, even gear guys dont throw out two or three lures, errr i mean flies, on one rod. but lots of fly guys do. this is just a never ending arguement i fear between the haves and have nots, when it comes to tugs. its easier i guess to explain a lack of success by claiming a higher character i guess and looking down on everyone else.

20. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    You guys are 100% clueless if you don't understand that summer steelhead seek out salmon and eat eggs. So much so that they will refuse anything else once the egg drop starts.

Besides all that BS, nick got his first steelhead and it was awesome. He's been fishing a few months and has a few small trout, some old pinks and a 14" bull trout under his belt, so a hot 6# native was a bit of an experience for him. The pure elation on his face when he came tight was priceless. He has a lifetime more to learn about these fish, many skunkings ahead of him. Gotta start saving for the spey rod now buddy.

Leave him alone