Steeliess reserved for experienced?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by spicolli140, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,327 / 9
    Dirty, dirty, dirty gear fisherman. I have to go wash my hands.
  2. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Ira, sorry for the plunking jab. started out that. just never liked it myself. always wanted to be moving or fish stuff that was moving.
    spinner strike yes good one.
    love that spoon strike though.
    toughest fish though for me was on a spoon with 10lb test maxima (the old white stuff, tuff as nails). hooked the fish in the white water about 1/4 mile above Reiter. fought that fish from there all the way down to Reiter (opposite side). he was on for at least 20-25 minutes. couldnt get that fish in any closer than 10 feet from me. he finally broke me off on some of those big rocks out there.
    by the way it was a summer run.
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,601 / 2
    Definitely. Swinging on the spey will always, ALWAYS be my #1. But I'm finding as I catch more and more of these fish, I'm beyond excited any way I catch them. There's a few places I fish that have some pockets I just can't effectively fish on a fly rod... So I decided to try the spinning rod with a spinner. Turns out that it's also an extremely satisfying experience. And I got to experience some strikes unlike any other I'd ever had. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
  4. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +396 / 0
    That is the question of the year!

I notice this post has gone untouched. Great question dflett68, great question indeed. Funny thing is, though it's not the majority way I fish, I'm actually one of those guys that prefers swinging for fish...odd huh?
  5. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
  6. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Really? YOu are asking this? Sounds like you are sincere from your follow up posts. I thought you were being a smart ass. My bad. Sounds like you have not had the pleasure of hooking a few fish on the swing. The initial hit or take or grab, whatever you want to call it...... Can range from a small tap tap, to a slam. Two totally seperate and individual in themselves. The fight, is the fight, totally complete and seperate from the take. IN other words, super easy to distinguish between the tug and the fight.

The Tug Is the Drug!
  7. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    D, ok Wait, what, huh? are we agreeing or disagreeing about something, cuz I forget.

I feel Steelhead are opportunistic. They don't actively go out and feed, but if food happends to drift by or swing by, they will take it, if they are in the right "mood" so to say.
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    What??? Metal is clean stuff! Ed, you will be glad to know that I am going to start whipping up my own hardware! Home-made spinners are cheaper and better than the store-bought ones. Mainly for the Coho and Kings, though.
    I picked up a shitload of stainless table knives at the Salvation Army store that look like they will make excellent bottomfishing and casting jigs when I get done transforming them. Rockfish, Lings and Cabezon?

Oops! Did I say "jigs?" Now we're getting into the steelie ammo. Tying up my own steelie jigs. I don't like "chuck 'n duck," so I will deploy those on a long spinning rod, with florocarbon leader hanging down from a huge float, and floating braid mainline, so I can mend it. I'm not proud of this, but I am not embarrassed by it, either. Its what works for me in my skinny, snag-infested, brushy-banked and canopied coastal creeks.
    One thing I really hate, and go to great lengths to avoid now, is to get my fly hung up on a snag (too deep to wade over near for reclaiming my fly) when using 10# or 12# test leader. I think that "busting off" with such heavy leader must be what damaged the running line and a couple of tips on my 8 wt. Rio VersaTip, by stretching it too much and creating cracks in the coating. That's how I figure how all the many circular cracks (go all the way around the diameter of the line, creating a gap in the coating when the line is stretched) happened. Most of that was from indicator fishing with glo bugs in snag-infested waters, but some of it was just from bad casting and bad luck. If that's the price one must pay, then I can't afford it. When I spend that kind of dough, I like the product to be built to take the punishment and last for several years.

I don't have to worry about very costly flyline damage when using my spinning gear jig-rig in such conditions.
    Even when I'm out darksiding it like that, I usually take my 6 wt with me just in case I notice any cutts around. That's in lieu of a 4 wt, so I can handle any bigger fish that might grab on.
    Now go wash you hands again, Ed!

When I finally can afford to purchase a new 8 wt fly line and better reel for it, I'll be back in business to try my luck swinging. My 8 wt gear is such bad shape that I'm out of the game right now.
  9. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,018 / 1
    I think I can honestly say that I can easily make part of the fight feel like the initial hit, mind over matter. The only real difference I believe is in the mind set of the angler at the time of the hit. Since the hit can not truly be anticipated I can understand how someone loves the hit more than anything because of the unexpectedness of it wrapped up in anticipation. Thus the reason why a bobber provides the same effect for me. Plus even though the bobber goes down, you still don't know if the fish is hooked yet until you feel that... initial tug. After that though the "tug" is still the drug (Take up a stunt kite and you'll find that with unpredictable winds it is close to fighting a fish). For me anyway the take and the fight do not need to be separate but I don't begrudge others that feel that way, I'm just talking about my own experience. Maybe I'm "initial hit" challenged and I need to ride the short bus to the water.

Ira..

I didn't take any offence at all to the plunking comment by the way.

10. Scottpuck Member

North Bend, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    huh???
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,327 / 9
    Egg patterns and beads are imitating eggs. Nymph patterns, emerger patterns and dry patterns are imitating insects in various life cycle stages. Terestrial patterns look like land bugs that have fallen into the water. Streamers are imitating baitfish. Any/all can be used to catch fish by fooling them into eating something that looks like what they might want to eat normally. I'm sure I'm overlooking some, but this seems to support what Derek is saying. I have heard people say "I'm nymphing a bead" which to me means they are using a nymphing presentation for fishing their bead. Since a nymph is a bug and a bead is a fish egg...
  12. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Just use a jig rod and bobber. Much more effiecient and effective, and what those rods/gear were designed for... unlike fly lines and fly rods with bobbers on them. I have caught my share of fish on a jig, watching the bobber go down. NOt very exciting compared to a grab and a screaming reel on the swing. Just my thoughts... YOu are entitled to your opinion..... CArry on
  13. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,018 / 1
    Not the same, sorry. You can't mend the same, the feel isn't the same and to be honest it is not as effecient. I outfish most gear guys. I still get the grab and scream while nymphing with an indicator. All I'm saying is I get the whole thing, visual, kinestetic, sound vs just feel and sound.

Ira..
  14. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    NOt sure about others, but with the braided line, and longer pole I can mend just as good if not better than with a fly rod.... Much more efficient, you can drift 100ft+ of drag free drift no problem. You can also cast much farther and better with a jig rod. How in the heck is a fly rod more efficient? Can't do that with a fly rod. With a bobber it is not feel, it is sight then set the hook, then you feel the fish= not as fun as on the swing.... just my opinion.
  15. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    Congrats on your first one!!

I sometimes skate bass poppers, gurglers and sliders for steelhead. A real player will take a skated topwater over a swung fly.:ray1: I have never had much luck/interest using beads so have never really given them much consideration. I think that "beads" should stay in the bedroom or on your significant other's neckline IMO :rofl::rofl:
  16. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +442 / 1
    A fly rod nymph presentation can be vastly different than a jig and bobber. When getting a natural presentation matters fly rods rule. Period.
  17. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    How you figure? How is a bobber hooked to a fly line different than a bobber hooked to braided nylon gonna do anything different for "natural presentation"? Who says you have to use jigs on a bobbe rod? put a couple nymphs or whatever.. and away you go.
  18. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,601 / 2
    because gear rods can't stack mend. nor can they present in delicate situations without blowing up the water.
  19. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    They don't need to stack mend... They just pop the bail and let it ride drag free for 100+ft (can't do that with a fly rod). Blowing up the water? Seen many a steel caught on cork bobbers and slow and low water. Also I have not seen someone be able to cast a bobber and fly set up... Being "delicate". So that also doesn't fly.
  20. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +442 / 1
    Not sure what Evan means but the mechanics of the drift can be much different. Basically the longer your leader, the lighter your lead, and the better you mend the more natural drift can be achieved. Which is why people fly fish tailwaters and spring creeks for selective trout. The best you can do with a gear rod is run a teton rig and uneeighted nymphs but when presentation really matters a properly run nymph rig on a fly rod will out fish gear by a long shot. Steelhead don't always care that's for sure. They are definitely down with the static drift in winter or glacial conditions but when they get trouty presentation can make a huge difference. I've seen it first hand. Carry on..... $.02